The Great Mystery of Sushi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chile Chef, its an extremely simple thing to do. Buy a sudare mat (or use waxed paper), place your sheet of nori on this. Spread your cooked sushi rice all the way to the left and right edges but leave about 1/4 inch at the edge closest to you and about 1/2 inch at the far edge. Spread your fillings on top and roll tightly. Use a sharp knife to cut the rolls and serve on a pretty plate with ginger, wasabi and soy sauce.

Thanks guys & girls, Hey I've tried raw Ahi Tuna and I've purchased 2 8oz steaks chucks for sushi.

The fish monger was so nice, He gave me about an oz of raw ahi tuna to try while he gave me his secrete for making the rice it self.

Wow, I actually have my own fish monger now, that's very cool.

But will you still speak to us, the little people? ;)
LOL, it's not like that yet, our freindship just started. I got to give it time and I don't want to mess it up with any stupid promises.

However next week he is going to be making me no salt to low salt sushi, We've probably talked about 25-35 minutes about my low sodium diet, so he also suggested I eat ahi tuna for a sushi fish since it only has 10 sodium per oz.

He was very cool and he told me to look for rice wine vingar that has zero sodium for the rolling portion of the sushi rolls.

Next week I'll go ahead and pick up some fresh sushi rolls.

CC the rice wine vinegar is to blend with your rice. You use about 1 tbsp/cup of rice each of sugar and rice wine vinegar in your rice and then use a flat bladed paddle to stir your rice til it is shiny.

CC the rice wine vinegar is to blend with your rice. You use about 1 tbsp/cup of rice each of sugar and rice wine vinegar in your rice and then use a flat bladed paddle to stir your rice til it is shiny.
GL, CC!

Make good sushi rice, and you're half way home. The idea is to quickly aerate your sugar-vinegar'd batch to room temp. Use a large bowl to expose grains to maximum surface area. Use a fan to speed cooling. Don't stir; churning/folding is better. A large, dull, flat paddle is essential - for needed efficiency while maintaining the now delicate integrity of kernels.

The home stretch is hand-crafting... which by definition just takes practice. and imagination.

GL, CC!

Make good sushi rice, and you're half way home. The idea is to quickly aerate your sugar-vinegar'd batch to room temp. Use a large bowl to expose grains to maximum surface area. Use a fan to speed cooling. Don't stir; churning/folding is better. A large, dull, flat paddle is essential - for needed efficiency while maintaining the now delicate integrity of kernels.

The home stretch is hand-crafting... which by definition just takes practice. and imagination.
Yuppers that's what Dan my fish monger said too, he said to fan the rice for about 12 minutes..

Hey guys & gals, Here's my first sushi making attempt and the whole sushi log was 90ml grams of sodium with out any added salt.

As one of the ladies said in this thread my rolling would be a little quirky until I can get the hang of it. And the rolling was a little quirky but not too bad.

Before the rolling.
774032058_p6JzP-M.jpg

After the rolling.

774032062_9Hp8B-M.jpg

Great first attempt man! The more you do it the better your rolls will start to look. One suggestion I have is to make sure your fillings go the length of the roll, even if you have to cut them a bit. Your tuna looks like it only takes up about 1/2 to 2/3 of your roll so the end pieces will not have any fish. If you are OK with that then no harm done. If you want fish in every piece though then what you could do is cut that piece of tuna lengthwise. The fish will be a little smaller, but every piece will get some.

Great first attempt man! The more you do it the better your rolls will start to look. One suggestion I have is to make sure your fillings go the length of the roll, even if you have to cut them a bit. Your tuna looks like it only takes up about 1/2 to 2/3 of your roll so the end pieces will not have any fish. If you are OK with that then no harm done. If you want fish in every piece though then what you could do is cut that piece of tuna lengthwise. The fish will be a little smaller, but every piece will get some.
Thank you GB, I really had fun making them and I realized that I didn't have enough length on the tuna and veggies, Next time I'm going to ask my fish monger what he can suggest so I will not have that problem.

By the way they tasted very good specially with out any salt.

Chile Chef, it looks as though your piece of tuna could be sliced lengthwise at least once and maybe twice, in order to make several pieces.

But I agree with GB, that you've made a very good first effort! :chef:

There was a time, not too many years ago, I decided to make my own sushi. Like you, I got the bamboo mat, sheets of nori, even the wooden rice spoon. I made it twice and discovered that wasn't for me. I realized I'd rather go out and eat it at a Sushi Bar than go through all of the mess.

I admire your effort, and the effort and skill of anyone who makes sushi!

Just count me as a spectator.

(And slivered nori adds great flavor to soups!)

I am with you Selkie. I tried my hand at making sushi a number of years ago. You can see my sushi HERE.. I found that as much fun as it was, I much prefer leaving the sushi making to the experts. I can happily let them be the experts at that and I will be the expert at eating their creations.

There was a time, not too many years ago, I decided to make my own sushi. Like you, I got the bamboo mat, sheets of nori, even the wooden rice spoon. I made it twice and discovered that wasn't for me. I realized I'd rather go out and eat it at a Sushi Bar than go through all of the mess.

I admire your effort, and the effort and skill of anyone who makes sushi!

Just count me as a spectator.

(And slivered nori adds great flavor to soups!)
Thank you Selkie, However my skills are very poor at the moment and probably stay that way for some time. I'am the same way as you are Selkie but I got to watch my salt intake now and if that means learning to skill to make my fav foods I will do so.

I'm stubern like that and I do miss going to the shushi.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom