"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 01-19-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
Sous Chef

The Great Mystery of Sushi

Can some one explain why the sushi seaweed would have 530 some sodium when I have purchased some that has zero sodium & it's nori? for my first attempt in a week?

Are they talking about the whole sushi log?

Calories & Nutrition Facts:

Dry nori seaweed (algae/purple laver, toasted, edible part: 100 g)
Characteristics:
Very high in dietary fiber, potassium, vitamins A, C
High in iodine (I) - 6 mg/100g
High in protein, magnesium, vitamins B2, B12, K
Very low in sodium

Calorie 188 kcal Water 2.3 g Protein 41.4 g Total lipid (fat) 3.7 g Carbohydrate 44.3 g Ash 8.3 g Dietary fiber 36.0 g (soluble) (-) (insoluble) (-) Cholesterol 22 mg Sodium (Na) 530 mg Potassium (K) 2400 mg Calsium (Ca) 280 mg Magnesium (Mg) 300 mg Phosphorus (P) 700 mg Iron (Fe) 11.4 mg Zinc (Zn) 3.6 mg Copper (Cu) 0.55 mg Manganese (Mn) 3.72 mg Salt equiv. 1.3 g Vitamin A (β-carotene) 25,000 g Vitamin E (α-tocopherol) 4.6 mg Vitamin K 390 g Vitamin B1 (thiamin) 0.69 mg Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) 2.33 mg Niacin (nicotinic acid) 11.7 mg Vitamin B6 0.59 mg Vitamin B12 57.6 mg Folic acid 1900 g Pantothenic acid 1.18 mg Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) 210 mg

Old 01-19-2010, 09:43 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Considering that the listed ingredients include fat and cholesterol, I'd say it's for the sushi roll. Cholesterol is an animal ingredient so there wouldn't be any in seaweed.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Considering that the listed ingredients include fat and cholesterol, I'd say it's for the sushi roll. Cholesterol is an animal ingredient so there wouldn't be any in seaweed.
Hi Andy, I'm not worried about the Cholesterol so much, I'm worried about the sodium and when you mean one roll do you mean the roll uncut or cut for single bites?
Old 01-19-2010, 10:05 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile Chef View Post
Hi Andy, I'm not worried about the Cholesterol so much, I'm worried about the sodium and when you mean one roll do you mean the roll uncut or cut for single bites?
I only mentioned the fat and cholesterol because they were evidence that the nutrition info was for a roll rather than just a sheet of nori.

I don't know whether the nutritional info is for a whole roll or some other amount. Where did you get it?
Old 01-20-2010, 08:19 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Hi again Andy, Hang let me fetch the site I got it from.

Sushi Calories & Nutrition Facts
Old 01-20-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Hi again Andy, Hang let me fetch the site I got it from.

Sushi Calories & Nutrition Facts
The stats are very misleading. The stats you have in your original post are for 100 grams of nori, the dry seaweed used to make sushi rolls. That's 3.5 ounces of seaweed - much much more than the amount you would use for a single sushi roll. That's why the sodium is so much higher than you expected.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Sous Chef

So is there an Accurate nutritional facts site for sushi, so I can make it at home?
Old 01-20-2010, 08:53 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

That's more complicated. You have to decide on which ingredients you will put into a roll and how much of each ingredient then add the amounts together for each nutrient you are concerned about.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:10 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
That's more complicated. You have to decide on which ingredients you will put into a roll and how much of each ingredient then add the amounts together for each nutrient you are concerned about.
Thank you Andy for explaining it that way.

By the way you think I should just start out with the basic roll the California roll since that has nothing bad at all sodium wise? Then when I learn more about shushi I can start adding my own stuff too it, like red bell peppers, avocado's, sushi grade tuna? that's not smoked, cured?
Old 01-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Thank you Andy for explaining it that way.

By the way you think I should just start out with the basic roll the California roll since that has nothing bad at all sodium wise? Then when I learn more about shushi I can start adding my own stuff too it, like red bell peppers, avocado's, sushi grade tuna? that's not smoked, cured?
Sounds like a good way to start. Let us know how it goes.

Tags
None