The Great Mystery of Sushi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chile Chef

Sous Chef
Can some one explain why the sushi seaweed would have 530 some sodium when I have purchased some that has zero sodium & it's nori? for my first attempt in a week?

Are they talking about the whole sushi log?

Calories & Nutrition Facts:

Dry nori seaweed (algae/purple laver, toasted, edible part: 100 g)
Characteristics:
Very high in dietary fiber, potassium, vitamins A, C
High in iodine (I) - 6 mg/100g
High in protein, magnesium, vitamins B2, B12, K
Very low in sodium

Calorie 188 kcal Water 2.3 g Protein 41.4 g Total lipid (fat) 3.7 g Carbohydrate 44.3 g Ash 8.3 g Dietary fiber 36.0 g [SIZE=-1](soluble)[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1](-)[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1](insoluble)[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1](-)[/SIZE] Cholesterol 22 mg Sodium (Na) 530 mg Potassium (K) 2400 mg Calsium (Ca) 280 mg Magnesium (Mg) 300 mg Phosphorus (P) 700 mg Iron (Fe) 11.4 mg Zinc (Zn) 3.6 mg Copper (Cu) 0.55 mg Manganese (Mn) 3.72 mg Salt equiv. 1.3 g Vitamin A (β-carotene) 25,000 µg Vitamin E (α-tocopherol) 4.6 mg Vitamin K 390 µg Vitamin B1 (thiamin) 0.69 mg Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) 2.33 mg Niacin (nicotinic acid) 11.7 mg Vitamin B6 0.59 mg Vitamin B12 57.6 mg Folic acid 1900 µg Pantothenic acid 1.18 mg Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) 210 mg

Considering that the listed ingredients include fat and cholesterol, I'd say it's for the sushi roll. Cholesterol is an animal ingredient so there wouldn't be any in seaweed.

Considering that the listed ingredients include fat and cholesterol, I'd say it's for the sushi roll. Cholesterol is an animal ingredient so there wouldn't be any in seaweed.
Hi Andy, I'm not worried about the Cholesterol so much, I'm worried about the sodium and when you mean one roll do you mean the roll uncut or cut for single bites?

Hi Andy, I'm not worried about the Cholesterol so much, I'm worried about the sodium and when you mean one roll do you mean the roll uncut or cut for single bites?

I only mentioned the fat and cholesterol because they were evidence that the nutrition info was for a roll rather than just a sheet of nori.

I don't know whether the nutritional info is for a whole roll or some other amount. Where did you get it?

Hi again Andy, Hang let me fetch the site I got it from.

Sushi Calories & Nutrition Facts

The stats are very misleading. The stats you have in your original post are for 100 grams of nori, the dry seaweed used to make sushi rolls. That's 3.5 ounces of seaweed - much much more than the amount you would use for a single sushi roll. That's why the sodium is so much higher than you expected.

That's more complicated. You have to decide on which ingredients you will put into a roll and how much of each ingredient then add the amounts together for each nutrient you are concerned about.

That's more complicated. You have to decide on which ingredients you will put into a roll and how much of each ingredient then add the amounts together for each nutrient you are concerned about.
Thank you Andy for explaining it that way.

By the way you think I should just start out with the basic roll the California roll since that has nothing bad at all sodium wise? Then when I learn more about shushi I can start adding my own stuff too it, like red bell peppers, avocado's, sushi grade tuna? that's not smoked, cured?

By the way you think I should just start out with the basic roll the California roll since that has nothing bad at all sodium wise? Then when I learn more about shushi I can start adding my own stuff too it, like red bell peppers, avocado's, sushi grade tuna? that's not smoked, cured?

Sounds like a good way to start. Let us know how it goes.

Sushi tuna has been frozen down to a certain temp that kills bacteria. (talkin out my a$$ but thats what a sushi chef told me)

bigdaddy, I believe the reason for freezing has to do with killing any parasites like worms that may have infected the fish. I don't think it has anything to do with bacteria as some bacteria can do just fine in freezing temps.

bigdaddy, I believe the reason for freezing has to do with killing any parasites like worms that may have infected the fish. I don't think it has anything to do with bacteria as some bacteria can do just fine in freezing temps.

This is exactly why I included the stuff in brackets.

Sushi is a mystery of the Orient! Don't question... just eat! :ROFLMAO:
Sorry, I can' just eat it like that anymore.

That's why I'm learning to make it for my self.

I thought an eel roll is safe for sodium wise but it's not, I've learned how they make it.

And they salt pack it in the fridge for a few day's and the only sushi I can eat now would be the real raw fish, sushi grade fish unprepared, and fresh veggies.

I believe the raw seafood on a rice bed is called sashimi. I love sashimi!

Sushi (the art of the knife) are generally the nori wrapped rolls. Fresh sushi, from a Japanese-style sushi bar, only uses regular cooked sushi rice (prepared with vinegar and sugar) and fresh vegetables and/or seafood, without any added salt that I'm aware of. I guess it depends on the kind of seafood you order.

Either way, both are delicious :)

I believe you are correct about salt not being added to sushi of any kind. Soy sauce is the component usually used in Japanese cooking when salt is needed. Since you use the soy sauce at the table you can control any additional sodium added.

Back
Top Bottom