"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 09-05-2011, 01:42 PM   #11
Sous Chef

I WANT that oshibako!!!

I don't know if I can find it in Italy, I'm gonna look on Amazon.com...

Old 09-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #12
Sous Chef

42 dollars for an oshibako in Italy, holy cow...

Old 09-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Lazzari View Post
42 dollars for an oshibako in Italy, holy cow...
They are pretty simple to make. If you have the means to cut wood in a small scale and glue it together, you can make one or several of different sizes. Some tofu presses are suitable for making Oshizushi.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Sushi Knives

If you are to make sushi only once in awhile, you probably don't want to spend the money on a really good sushi knife.

These chef quality knives can be priced anywhere from $30 to $500 per/knife, and even much more than that for knives with a history or being sold from an estate.

The sushi knife is considered an extension of the chef's hand and arm. The knives are almost always carbon steel and have extremely sharp edges.

Several factors are involved in which knife you would likely use on each type of sushi.

1. Beveled only on one side. This can be a left or right handed bevel and is designed to cut, leaving the uncut part exactly as is, while gently moving the cut piece slightly to the side away from the uncut piece. This type of sushi knife is the most common.

2. Filleting knifes. Made in a manner which makes filleting a fish easier to do correctly. Usually very thin with a very gentle bevel on both sides of the knife.

3. Paring knifes. These come in many sizes and shapes, and are designed to make specific types of cuts from within, without disturbing the outer parts of items being cut.

As seen in this link, there are literally hundreds of types of sushi knives.
Sushi Knives

The knives are treated as prized possessions by the chefs who own them. They are used and cared for in precise manners and are kept sometimes, for many generations and passed down to younger family members.

The ones that I own are one-side bevel, $50 price range. I find they do everything I need to do. The two I own are about 20 years old.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:32 AM   #15
Master Chef

Love sushi and, yes, sashimi. When I first moved to the small-town-midwest .... nothing. But a neighbor is a Japan-o-phile (there really is a word for that, but not at the tip of my fingers) and we had a sushi party that we hosted together. It was all cooked fish so no one had to worry. California rolls, cucumber rolls, etc. It was a huge hit. Now our town has progressed so that I can buy really good tuna. Yumm.

I lived in Hawaii on and off for ten years, so I have an old sushi knife. Seems to me I paid about $50 for it 25 years ago. It has never been sharpened and is still the sharpest knife in the drawer. Just have to be careful to wash and dry it, because it will rust.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Hi Claire,

When I read your posts, I always think of my Grammy. Her name was also Claire, and she was the nicest person I've ever known in my entire life.

You sound as nice as she did!

When I looked up "A person who loves all things Japanese", I found:

Nippoanglophilus
Nippoanglophille
Anglonippophilus
Anglonippophile

A young Japanese women supplied those answers and said that each of them would work.

Do you recognise the one you're familiar with?

I always put a very light coat of vegetable oil on my sushi knives before storing it in a white cotton cloth. They seem to like it.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #17
Head Chef

omakase

"omakase (shimasu)" – “I give up control/judgment/responsibility to you.”

It’s not a declaration to be made lightly, but it will put you in the category of VIP customer. The chef is left to his/her discretion for serving you the day’s best cuts. It will almost always include at least one grilled dish. You may personally order side dishes, such as miso soup, but if you declare “omakase,” never never never order a sushi dish. This would be a severe insult to the chef. At some restaurants, omakase might be menu-listed as a set prix fixe multiple course.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post

It’s not a declaration to be made lightly, but it will put you in the category of VIP customer. The chef is left to his/her discretion for serving you the day’s best cuts. It will almost always include at least one grilled dish. You may personally order side dishes, such as miso soup, but if you declare “omakase,” never never never order a sushi dish. This would be a severe insult to the chef. At some restaurants, omakase might be menu-listed as a set prix fixe multiple course.
arigato, spork-san, I included that into my lessons.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post

If not posted, it's wise to make sure you can afford the Omakase meal. In some establishments, it can be as much as $200+ USD per/person.

The charges for sushi vary tremendously, country by country and establishment by establishment. Never assume you have enough on you to pay. Check the menu first. I've been in a couple that made me do a "double-take" at the price.

Many have online menus now. I always look for a web page first.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #20
Head Chef

agari

agari -- literally, "to stand."

When you order green tea during a sushi restaurant meal, it is called ocha. But, if you order "agari," this is an announcement that you are finished eating, that you intend to stop sitting and "stand up." A final cup of green tea will be served.

During an omakase dining session, if you think the evening is close approaching your wallet or budget, it is perfectly appropriate to ask the chef for "agari."

Tags
sushi