"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 10-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Thought it was hominy, what did I buy??

I went to a Mexican grocery store and bought what I thought was dried hominy. It came in a unmarked package under a sign that said "maiz blanco" or white corn. Next to it was packages of "maiz morado". It looks like what I would think dry hominy would look like (never seen it in person before).

I tried boiling some and after 2 1/2 hours, it's still inedible and dry on the inside (dried hominy is supposed to take 2-3 hours to cook). So I don't think it's hominy. The most compelling thing is it still has the seed coat on the outside, which I thought its supposed to fall off when hominy is first made, but it's kind of papery and not too difficult to peel off when wet. So I have no clue what I bought. Is it just corn??? It would be really odd looking corn if it was, because it's almost an inch long and wide and very flat.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Almost looks like seed corn.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Looks like slaked corn to me. I think the main use for this is to grind into masa flour for tamales or tortillas.

It could also become hominy. Not sure how long it would take to get it soft enough to eat. It would need de-heading first. Cut off the tough bit on the end where it was attached to the cob. This will allow it to bloom and begin to look like hominy as it cooks.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
Looks like slaked corn to me. I think the main use for this is to grind into masa flour for tamales or tortillas.

It could also become hominy. Not sure how long it would take to get it soft enough to eat. It would need de-heading first. Cut off the tough bit on the end where it was attached to the cob. This will allow it to bloom and begin to look like hominy as it cooks.

Has it already been lyed?
Old 10-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #5
Admiral of the Texas Navy

I think so. That's why it was sold as "blanco". The lime or lye turns it white.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #6
Executive Chef

It's white field corn.

To prepare it, here are the instructions:

How to make Masa
Old 10-08-2011, 11:02 PM   #7
Senior Cook

So it's like halfway to becoming hominy I guess? I'll see if breaking off the tip will let it cook through.

I might experiment with continuing the process by boiling with ashes from the fireplace. I made hominy with deer corn that way, just to see if it worked, and it did.

Edit: I don't think it's the same as field corn (at least I can say it's not dent corn).
Edit 2: I read that page you posted, I think you're right!
Old 10-08-2011, 11:02 PM   #8
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Mote: It is a staple in Bolivian and Peruvian cuisine. You have to really boil the heck out of it for it to be tender, and is essential for humitas(Bolivian style tamales). It is pretty good eating actually, and fries up GREAT once cooked, for natural corn nuts. In Peru, you see it fried and as a garnish for a lot of soups and even civiche.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:05 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texherp View Post
So it's like halfway to becoming hominy I guess? I'll see if breaking off the tip will let it cook through.

I might experiment with continuing the process by boiling with ashes from the fireplace. I made hominy with deer corn that way, just to see if it worked, and it did.
No, it's just plain old dried white field corn. You can make hominy from it also. My post back a couple explains how.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:49 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Dry White "Whole Kernel Corn"..

corn comes in various colors like Pettunia Flowers..

Yellow, White, Blue and Red..

it's all still Corn..to make Hominy, in any color, use Timothy's method..

My question is.. why are you looking for Dried Hominy?

Use the canned type avail. at any grocery..

it's a very fine product and we eat it all the time..

had it with fish last Friday night!

If you keep boiling the whole white corn you have, it will make a great side dish of Whole White Corn.. you should have soaked it over night though.

If you soak it over night, not boiled, and then spread it out, it will sprout like all seeds..

That's called Mash, and makes a fine Corn Liquor. (White Lightning, or Bourbon)!

Eric, Austin Tx.

Tags
recipe

Thought it was hominy, what did I buy?? I went to a Mexican grocery store and bought what I thought was dried hominy. It came in a unmarked package under a sign that said "maiz blanco" or white corn. Next to it was packages of "maiz morado". It looks like what I would think dry hominy would look like (never seen it in person before). I tried boiling some and after 2 1/2 hours, it's still inedible and dry on the inside (dried hominy is supposed to take 2-3 hours to cook). So I don't think it's hominy. The most compelling thing is it still has the seed coat on the outside, which I thought its supposed to fall off when hominy is first made, but it's kind of papery and not too difficult to peel off when wet. So I have no clue what I bought. Is it just corn??? It would be really odd looking corn if it was, because it's almost an inch long and wide and very flat. [IMG]http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss313/abennett409/100_7656.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss313/abennett409/100_7657.jpg[/IMG] 3 stars 1 reviews