"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 02-01-2008, 02:59 PM   #51
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essiebunny View Post
Sometimes my Hungarian grandma would make this with sauteed cabbage instead of the cheese. I always liked the cheese best. This brings back so many wonderful memories.
Thank you so much.
Yum! Love cabbage. Thanks, Essiebunny, you've given me an idea. Gonna roast some brussels sprouts, saute some onions & mushrooms in butter & evoo, pour it over cooked broad egg noodles, put in a pyrex dish, top w buttered bread crumbs & bake. Will let you know how my experiment turns out.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:00 PM   #52
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupperware View Post
lots of Butter in the frying pan

Thin sliced sweet onions-lots of them

Brown the onions well- really Caramelize them, about 20 minutes don't burn

dump in the hot cooked egg noodles

now stir in the cottage cheese.

onions,butter, melting cheese and egg noodles

OK now I'm drooling.
Great suggestions. Love all the ideas here.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:05 PM   #53
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
needed a quick side dish the other night, boiled noodles, put in big chunk butter, sour cream and some mexican taco cheese , just a little garlic salt and tons black pepper.

everyone loved it and no left overs, cept one tiny bowl that i ate late that night. lol

babe
Babe, sounds delish. Have to give it a try. Thank you.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:44 PM   #54
Master Chef

sounds delightful , will give it a try.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #55
Assistant Cook

Noodles and Cottage Cheese

We have always made this recipe. My Hungarian grandmother made it and it was always with cottage cheese; no other type of cheese. Noodle, butter, salt and pepper and cottage cheese. Mix together and stir over a very low heat for a minute or so

When I was growing up my grandma made this dish, either when it was too hot to cook/turn on the oven - or a quick meal. I still make it to this day, & always smile when I think of her.

Boil about a pkg of broad & drain. Add salt & pepper & a good dose of butter. Stir the butter into the hot cooked noodles until the butter is melted. Mix in cold cottage cheese & eat it while the noodles are still hot.

My grandma may have used pot cheese or farmer cheese (don't recall). I use low fat small curd cottage cheese.

If you're feeling really wild & adventurous, lol, sprinkle some Paprika over the top. Get a fork and eat out of the pot when no one is looking.

I have a recipe for homemade egg noodles. Someday, when I have a chance will have to give it a try for this dish.

Note: The dish does not reheat well, as the cottage cheese gets gluey/sticky. So... eat it all while it's hot. I've used spaghetti in place of the broad egg noodles, but it's not really the same.[/QUOTE]

Tags
None