TNT - Grandma's Buttered Noodles & Cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Mom had this "recipe" for Noodles Romanoff - wide egg noodles, tossed with some onions that had been softened in butter, cottage cheese, and parm. Geeze I still absolutely love that stuff. Hmmmmm, gotta go check the date on the cottage cheese.:rolleyes:

Sounds delish, Harborwitch. Gotta try that. Thank you.

My Jewish "bubby" used to make the noodle/cottage cheese dish....ahhhh, I must try it soon!

I make it every so often for a quick dish. Listen to ella! She knows how to make a square Matza ball. (I still giggle when I think of your post & meant to give you Karma :LOL: It's on its way.) Now you have to tell me your secret for making a square matza ball. :chef:

Last edited:
Your Grandma's recipe bring back memories of my Hungarian grandma and mom. We ate this during lent almost every Friday. I have such a taste for this dish. I know my family used Farmer's Cheese, as well.

Hungaian Noodles

Amy, I know this one is old news so to speak but I kinda remembered you had posted this and it's exactly what I was thinking about. So many of your posts are like that. Thanks :)

Sometimes my Hungarian grandma would make this with sauteed cabbage instead of the cheese. I always liked the cheese best. This brings back so many wonderful memories.
Thank you so much.

noodles

needed a quick side dish the other night, boiled noodles, put in big chunk butter, sour cream and some mexican taco cheese , just a little garlic salt and tons black pepper.

everyone loved it and no left overs, cept one tiny bowl that i ate late that night. lol

babe

And now the best way

lots of Butter in the frying pan

Thin sliced sweet onions-lots of them

Brown the onions well- really Caramelize them, about 20 minutes don't burn

dump in the hot cooked egg noodles

now stir in the cottage cheese.

onions,butter, melting cheese and egg noodles

OK now I'm drooling.

I bought the dang cheese and still have not made this!!! I forgot all about it! Must go dig out cheese and try this!!!

Sometimes my Hungarian grandma would make this with sauteed cabbage instead of the cheese. I always liked the cheese best. This brings back so many wonderful memories.
Thank you so much.

Yum! Love cabbage. Thanks, Essiebunny, you've given me an idea. Gonna roast some brussels sprouts, saute some onions & mushrooms in butter & evoo, pour it over cooked broad egg noodles, put in a pyrex dish, top w buttered bread crumbs & bake. Will let you know how my experiment turns out.

lots of Butter in the frying pan

Thin sliced sweet onions-lots of them

Brown the onions well- really Caramelize them, about 20 minutes don't burn

dump in the hot cooked egg noodles

now stir in the cottage cheese.

onions,butter, melting cheese and egg noodles

OK now I'm drooling.

Great suggestions. Love all the ideas here.

needed a quick side dish the other night, boiled noodles, put in big chunk butter, sour cream and some mexican taco cheese , just a little garlic salt and tons black pepper.

everyone loved it and no left overs, cept one tiny bowl that i ate late that night. lol

babe

Babe, sounds delish. Have to give it a try. Thank you.

Last edited:
Noodles and Cottage Cheese

We have always made this recipe. My Hungarian grandmother made it and it was always with cottage cheese; no other type of cheese. Noodle, butter, salt and pepper and cottage cheese. Mix together and stir over a very low heat for a minute or so

When I was growing up my grandma made this dish, either when it was too hot to cook/turn on the oven - or a quick meal. I still make it to this day, & always smile when I think of her.

Boil about a pkg of broad & drain. Add salt & pepper & a good dose of butter. Stir the butter into the hot cooked noodles until the butter is melted. Mix in coldhttp://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/iso-cheap-easy-recipes-40379-4.html# cottage cheese & eat it while the noodleshttp://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/iso-cheap-easy-recipes-40379-4.html# are still hot.

My grandma may have used pot cheese or farmer cheese (don't recall). I use low fat small curd cottage cheese.

If you're feeling really wild & adventurous, lol, sprinkle some Paprika over the top. Get a fork and eat out of the pot when no one is looking. ;)

I have a recipe for homemade egg noodles. Someday, when I have a chance will have to give it a try for this dish.

Note: The dish does not reheat well, as the cottage cheese gets gluey/sticky. So... eat it all while it's hot. I've used spaghetti in place of the broad egg noodles, but it's not really the same.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom