"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 11-27-2007, 12:35 PM   #1
Head Chef

TNT - Grandma's Buttered Noodles & Cheese

This is a dish I grew up with, from my Hungarian Grandma. It is not an actual "recipe" as there are no exact measurements. I've shared the idea and story so many times in discussions, but never posted the idea/recipe.

When I was growing up my grandma made this dish, either when it was too hot to cook/turn on the oven - or a quick meal. I still make it to this day, & always smile when I think of her.

Boil about a pkg of broad egg noodles & drain. Add salt & pepper & a good dose of butter. Stir the butter into the hot cooked noodles until the butter is melted. Mix in cold cottage cheese & eat it while the noodles are still hot.

My grandma may have used pot cheese or farmer cheese (don't recall). I use low fat small curd cottage cheese.

If you're feeling really wild & adventurous, lol, sprinkle some Paprika over the top. Get a fork and eat out of the pot when no one is looking.

I have a recipe for homemade egg noodles. Someday, when I have a chance will have to give it a try for this dish.

Note: The dish does not reheat well, as the cottage cheese gets gluey/sticky. So... eat it all while it's hot. I've used spaghetti in place of the broad egg noodles, but it's not really the same.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:36 PM   #2
Head Chef

Amy, my Polish relatives used to call this "kluski", which is just the Polish word for "noodles". I'm quite sure that they used farmer's cheese, but ricotta would be a good substitute. Or, as you said, cottage cheese, but I'd drain it through cheesecloth overnight before mixing it in.

It might not sound good to someone who hasn't tried it, but it really is delicious!

Also, I recall some fried diced onions and probably the ubiquitous fried out diced salt pork, too. :-) I should make some - I LOVED it!

Lee

Old 11-27-2007, 02:13 PM   #3
Master Chef

It is a staple on the lazy day in my house. I use whatever noodles I have at home, more often than not it is elbow macaroni. And I use framer cheese or home made cheese that is very much reminds the farmer’s cheese. The main thing is to make sure the noodles are still very hot.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:36 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I think farmers cheese works best. You might want to try a small portion with lekvar.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:48 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Grandma' Recipes

Thanks amy for thinking of us and sharing your 'Grandma's' recipe. She must have really been good cook and you enjoyed her dishes. She would be happy to know you are thinking of her and sharing them with us. Sounds very easy and good. When everyone so busy at this time of year, I will surely use this when we are pressed for time and do not want to go to fast food place.

I only have to make sure to get the farmer's cheese as that seems to make it sound better. No fan of cottage cheese, maybe we eat too much of it already.
Anyway, thanks.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:36 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Back when I didn't have to watch my Carb intake, I would cook egg noodles and cover with garlic butter, and a few turns of pepper! Never did the cheese part. Think I will try it with cheese. Just a small portion!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:20 PM   #7
Sous Chef

That sounds really good. It's so simple... I think I might pick up some egg noodles and farmer's cheese while grocery shopping tomorrow.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:42 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Dad used to do the buttered noodles too...instead of cheese though he'd add WAY TOO much ketchup.

I like the sound of cheese much better.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:49 PM   #9
Sous Chef

My mum used to make something like this with Ricotta, and parmesan. Sounds good :)
Old 11-27-2007, 08:25 PM   #10
Head Chef

Thanks for the replies, guys. The combo of cottage cheese, egg noodles & butter may sound odd, but it's very tasty. Hope you'll give it a try. Enjoy.

ETA:... with a slice of rye or pumpernickle bread slathered with butter.

Tags
None