TNT Jamaican Brown Stew Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deelady

Executive Chef
:chef:Jamaican Brown Stew Fish

2 lbs fish filets (catfish)
1 medium onion sliced,
3-4 stalks green onion chopped
1 jalapeno chopped (or habenero for the hot heads)
4 small tomatoes blended coarsely or diced
1 heaping teaspoons fresh grated ginger
garlic powder to taste
Thyme (1 tsp if dried, 1 sprig if fresh)
salt pepper to taste
maggi cube
red pepper to taste
1 tablespoon browning sauce,
1 tablespoon soy sauce
juice 1/2 lemon or 2 limes
flour to thicken
2 1/2 cup water
oil to coat pan
1 heaping tablespoon butter
In large non-stick pan heat oil, season fish with favorite Cajun spices , or just salt and pepper if desired. Fry fish in oil until cooked through and slightly golden. Drain fish on paper towels, set aside.
In large pot Fry sliced onions, tomatoes, jalapeno, ginger, garlic powder, and thyme, in about half of oil from fish until water begins to evaporate from tomatoes and onions are soft. Add water, browning sauce, soy sauce, maggi cube, lemon juice, red pepper, butter, and flour paste to thicken. Bring to boil. Adjust seasoning to taste at this point. Add ketchup if too bitter, water if too salty, salt or another maggi cube if too bland. Add green onion. Lower heat, cut fish to about size of your palm if not a bit larger, add to stew. Simmer about 15-20 minutes on low. Serve over white rice with fried plantains on side.

I have some catfish "nuggets" that are dying to be made into a stew...
This just might be it!

This is kinda, sorta, like a dish I make called Catfish Etouffee. Some of the same ingredients etc, but goes together differently. Anyway the addtion of the ginger, and soy sounds interesting..Thanks for posting the recipe!!!!!

oh I don't mean because of the heat, I'm sure with a name like grillingfool you can take the heat! I was refering to the salmanila (sp?) concerns....:ermm::ermm:

And you are welcome uncle Bob! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom