TNT Orange Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBQ Mikey

Sous Chef
You can add chili flakes to spice more, this recipe is quite sweet with a small kick. Very orange. Very tasty. This is my own take on the dish

2 sliced Scallions
2 lbs chicken
1 tablespooon Orange Zest (or sliced orange peel)
2 tsp. minced garlic
3 tablespoon "sweet cooking chili"
1 tablespoon Orange Marmalade
1-2 cup oil
Cornstarch
1 egg

Break egg and mix in small bowl
Put chicken in egg, then coat in corn starch (potato starch is much better)
Cook chicken until crispy in oil.
Drain chicken, remove oil from wok.
"necklace" wok in chili oil (or regular oil, do not use sesame) This will result in the wok being oily and ready for sauce, use 1 tsp. oil.
add garlic and orange zest
quickly add the sweet cooking chile and orange marmalade
add scallions
add chicken and stir vigorously to coat. Your sauce should be thick and bubbly, if not, add Slurry = (cornstarch and water)

Enjoy and happy holidays.

Last edited:
What do you think of doing this with pork? I have a pork loin and this sounds yummy.

This would be good with pork or beef.. I would marinate the pork in sweet soy sauce or sweet ginger soy over night. That would help blend the flavors since pork is already salty.

Sweet Cooking Chili you will find in the ethnic section under Thai or chinese. It is a pan asian ingrediant, normally consisting of water, Chili, peppers, and garlic. Some are spicier than others.. I use it as the base for most of my asian dishes.

I made some orange chicken the other day using these portions and it turned out immaculate. The key is to use medium heat.

Sweet Cooking Chili you will find in the ethnic section under Thai or chinese. It is a pan asian ingrediant, normally consisting of water, Chili, peppers, and garlic. Some are spicier than others.. I use it as the base for most of my asian dishes..

I practically live in an asian market and have a pantryful of asian condiments but have never seen anything called this. Is it chili paste? Why is it sweet if it doesn't have sugar in it? If it does have sugar, is it sweet chili sauce which comes in a bottle ? Like this

Yes it is like that. It is always in a glass bottle. You may never see it since the world supply of cooking chili is dwindling. It is sweet because I believe it is made the same way relish is.

Another good thing about it is how much flavor you get for such a small price.

Hi, Mikey. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your bottle? I'm not familiar with it, either, but your recipe sounds great.

Hi, Mikey. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your bottle? I'm not familiar with it, either, but your recipe sounds great.

Any Thai sweet chili sauce will work. Most asian stores carry lots of brands.

I think this recipe sounds awesome, by the way.

Got G -- hope you are feeling better soon!

Yes it is like that. It is always in a glass bottle. You may never see it since the world supply of cooking chili is dwindling.

Cooking chile as opposed to ....?

Do you have a link to information about a shortage? I bet we will see that ubiquitous bottle of sweet chili sauce for a long time to come.

I heard it from the head chef at PF CHiangs a few months ago. I have not noticed a shortage but the price has risen slightly.

Like any produce the supply ebbs and flows with weather but I seriously doubt that the world supply of "cooking" chiles is dwindling.

Apparently there was a bad harvest that all I know. I can sleep at night still.

I wish I could find a bottle that small. All my supermarket carries in sweet chili sauce is a quart size bottle. I actually asked a couple of other shoppers if they'd care to split the bottle with me.

BTW, it is called SWEET chili sauce to differentiate it from HOT chili sauce.

Last edited:
What do you think of doing this with pork? I have a pork loin and this sounds yummy.
Elaine, if you have a whole pork loin, try THIS recipe instead of chopping it up:

Chinese Dragon

3 ½ to 5 pound boneless dragon loin (if dragon isn’t available, you can use pork loin, but your guests will be able to tell the difference)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper

Marinade:
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 Tbs tomato paste
2 Tbs firmly packed brown sugar
1 Tbs Chili Garlic sauce
1 Tbs grated ginger
1 tsp five-spice powder

Garnish:
1 cup mango, diced
1/2 cup pineapple, diced
2 Tbs rice vinegar
2 tsp lemon juice
1 small red bell pepper, julienned
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1 cup coarsely chopped dry roasted, unsalted peanuts

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Combine hoisin sauce, soy sauce, tomato paste, chili garlic sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, ginger, and five-spice in a medium saucepan. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Remove from heat; allow marinade to cool.
3. Trim excess fat from dragon loin, season with salt and pepper. Then place in a large ziplock bag. When marinade has cooled, pour into plastic bag, squeeze out any excess air, and close. Allow to marinate for at least 1 hour (preferably overnight), refrigerated.
4. Place the dragon loin on a rack in a shallow roasting pan and cook for 20 to 30 minutes per pound, or until internal temperature is 160°F. Allow dragon loin to rest for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.
5. Slice and serve dragon loin garnished with mango, pineapple, scallions, bell pepper, and peanuts.

Thanks Caine. Always love your stuff. Next pork loin gets dragon treatment.

I enjoy Sriracha too, but normally just use it as a condiment. :chef: Good to know the difference though.

Last edited:
I wish I could find a bottle that small. All my supermarket carries in sweet chili sauce is a quart size bottle.

Caine,

I buy mine in the 32 ounce bottle and it lasts maybe 6 months. I find that I use it quite a bit in dipping sauces and in marinades, etc.

But I have seen it in smaller bottles in my asian market (admittedly huge). In mine they keep the smaller bottles in a different aisle.

I know most of the major produces (Mae Pla or whatever) make small bottle of it.

Back
Top Bottom