TNT - Zaatar Chicken with Orange Couscous

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haggis

Sous Chef
Whipped this up for dinner tonight, was delicious. I unfortunately did not have any white wine handy so I subbed a few decent squeezes of lemon juice to get a bit of acid in there but I could definitely see the addition of white wine making it even better.

My observations:

- You could even use some different spices instead of the cumin, or add some along side it (what would probably work best; ground green cardamom, cinnamon, fennel seed and ground coriander seeds)

- You could also use various different types of fruit, both fresh and dried either replacing the orange or alongside it. Dates, apricots and figs (and maybe some preserved lemon rind) would work really well.

- What I might do next time is make up a yoghurt sauce which I think would go really well.

Zaatar Chicken with Orange Couscous
------------------------------------

60ml cup zaatar
4 x 180g (6oz) chicken breast fillets
60ml cup olive oil
80ml cup white wine
185ml chicken stock
1 1/2 cups couscous
1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
2 oranges, peeled, segmented, juice reserved
1/2 cup coriander leaves
1 tsp ground cumin

Preheat oven to 180'C.

Rub zaatar all over the chicken. Heat 40ml of the oil in a large, deep frypan over medum heat. Add the chicken and cook for 2 minutes each side until golden. Transfer to a roasting pan and finish off in the oven for about 10 minutes or until cooked through.

Wipe the frypan with paper towel, then heat over medium-high heat. Add the wine and cook for 1 minute, then add the stock. Bring to the boil, add the couscous, remove from heat, cover and stand for 5 minutes. Fluff the couscous with a fork and stir in the pine nuts, orange segments and coriander leaves.

Whisk the remaining olive oil and any reserved orange juice in a small bowl with the cumin. Add to the couscous and mix. Slice the chicken breasts and serve on top of the couscous.

Serves 4.

Back
Top Bottom