"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 11-21-2005, 11:50 AM   #11
Master Chef

I was going to ask you how the soup turned out!

I had forgotten about the 88 in Malden. I found it while wandering my way over to Penzey's. It's an amazing place, but 'tis true that most of the staff doesn't speak English.

And the labeling .... I once picked up a package of peppers labeled "hohopenos"

Old 11-21-2005, 01:26 PM   #12
Head Chef

Is Super 88 an Asian store? They have a Ranch 99 in California that I LOVE. Funny you mention labels. I am the same way and buy by memory since I usually don't know what it's called in English OR Vietnamese. Makes for a difficult time sending hubby to the store w/o me! :-)

Old 11-21-2005, 01:29 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc
Is Super 88 an Asian store? They have a Ranch 99 in California that I LOVE. Funny you mention labels. I am the same way and buy by memory since I usually don't know what it's called in English OR Vietnamese. Makes for a difficult time sending hubby to the store w/o me! :-)
Yes, it is an Asian market. The have departments like a regular supermarket. I saw products I didn't know existed. I don't know how widespread they are. I couldn't find a website.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:06 AM   #14
Head Chef

Hi Andy,

The authentic Tom Ka Gai I get in the great local restaurants here don't have chili paste in them. The appearance of the soup liquid is creamy milky white. May I suggest you use Kaffir lime leaves when you can. Lime juice is the acid used in this soup. Lime zest is not used at all in this dish. I think the strong fruity flavor of the zest will be distracting. Also, I suggest generously adding sliced shallots to your Tom Ka Gai along with the cilantro. Good luck!
Old 01-14-2006, 01:31 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

This is the recipe I use, which is easy. I usually just wrap up the lemongrass in cheesecloth and dump it out instead of straining.

Chicken and Coconut Soup (from Epicurious, I think)
2 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
1 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk (lowfat from Trader Joe's is good)
1/2 cup 1/4-inch-thick slices fresh lemongrass
1 clove garlic, minced
1 chicken breast half

2 tablespoon lime juice
1 1/2 teaspoon green curry paste
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 can straw mushrooms
1 tomato, diced
Finely chopped fresh cilantro

Bring first 4 ingredients to boil in heavy medium saucepan. Reduce heat, add chicken and simmer until almost cooked through, turning occasionally, about 12 minutes. Transfer chicken to plate; cool. Remove chicken skin and bones. Cut meat into 1/2-inch pieces.

Strain soup through sieve into small saucepan. Add 2 tablespoon lime juice and curry paste to soup and simmer until reduced to 2 cups, about 20 minutes. Add chicken and simmer just to heat through. Taste, adding more lime juice if desired. Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:47 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

hsnow73:

Thanks for the recipe.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:42 PM   #17
Master Chef

I can't resist putting in a word here. I always order more Hot Wings than I'll possibly eat when I order them in restaurants. Then I make a soup with them. The hot/sweet thing, when a can of coconut milk is added, makes for a great soup reminiscent of this dish. You get that hot/sweet/sour effect. I can't get kaffir lime leaves here, so have to settle for the zest. No, it isn't "authentic", but then, authentic isn't available here either (no Thai restaurant, although a Dubuque Vietnamese woman does her best, and a decent job of it). Order extra hot wings (less sweet is better), then boil them with lots of garlic, onion, etc. Add the lime peel (if you aren't lucky enough to get kaffir leaves) rather late in the dish (it can get bitter). Strain, then add the can of coconut, a few shrimp, whatever ingredients menioned above are, and just heat and enjoy.

Tags
None