"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 10-30-2010, 05:40 PM   #11
Certified Cake Maniac

My recipe is like Andy's, an amalgamation of my Mom's, my catering/apprenticeship boss's, and two others.

I use potato in mine.

I will have to get it out and add it here! But these sound great.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

love this pie (OK, love all pies - there, you made me say it!)

here's a discussion from long ago about the same lovely dish

Tourtiere - Canadian French Meat Pie

Old 11-01-2010, 03:45 PM   #13
Master Chef

I not only keep all the "juice,", but actually add a little water towards the end of cooking the meat/onion/herb mixture, then use some instant potato flakes to thicken. Makes it so that the slices come out looking very nice and together. In my grandparents' tourtieres, the meat was strictly pork and pretty heavy and fatty. So now I use one tube of Jimmy Dean Sage Sausage and a pound of white ground turkey to lighten it up a bit. Oh, and a rib of celery rather than celery salt. It is not unusual for my family members to call me when they're doing it for hints. My husband would just die if I didn't make this at least annually, and even without the holidays it makes for great buffet food for a brunch if you need to bring something to a potluck.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Now that I realize what you guys are talking about, here is the very first recipe I tried at the age of 13. It just looked so good in that ad that I just had to try it. It ended up being one of the longest running family favorite I ever made.

I made it again recently and it was just as wonderful as before. The only change I made was to make it in my glass casserole dish, I just patted the dough into the bottom and up the sides. I like a glass dish or pie pan for this so I can check the bottom and make sure it's done. I didn't have any Accent to add but it was still good. The Accent does make it a little better, but many people have problems with it.

Hamburger Onion Pie – 1959 Recipe Clipping | RecipeCurio.com

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:39 AM   #15
Executive Chef

I love pies.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:32 PM   #16
Master Chef

I always thought my use of instant mashed potato flakes for thickening or a breading was a guilty little secret, but on the latest show I saw, Jacques Pepin did as I've done for years and used some instant flakes to thicken his potato leek soup with less heavy cream. Now I feel, heck, if Jacques can do it, so can I. Ditto one time I read that after a party is over, he thinks nothing of mixing the dregs of a bottle of red and one of white to drink while he picks up the mess. My mom, memere, and aunts used to use mashed or grated potatoes on occasion, but the instant really makes for a pretty slice.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I once had some fabulous potatoes in a very upscale restaurant. I asked if it was possible to have the recipe. The waiter said he would ask the chef. She came out and said, that she would be happy to give me the recipe, but she was embarrassed to admit, that they required instant mashed potatoes.

Make instant mashed potatoes very thick and add almond extract.
When the potatoes are cool, shape it into balls (~1.5 -2 inches in diameter) and roll them in sliced almonds.
Bake

Mine were never as good. Maybe the almonds need to be toasted, maybe I should have brushed with butter.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:45 AM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I always thought my use of instant mashed potato flakes for thickening or a breading was a guilty little secret, but on the latest show I saw, Jacques Pepin did as I've done for years and used some instant flakes to thicken his potato leek soup with less heavy cream. Now I feel, heck, if Jacques can do it, so can I. Ditto one time I read that after a party is over, he thinks nothing of mixing the dregs of a bottle of red and one of white to drink while he picks up the mess. My mom, memere, and aunts used to use mashed or grated potatoes on occasion, but the instant really makes for a pretty slice.
Frozen, shredded hash browns are my guilty secret for fast potato soup.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:37 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I was reluctant to post my tourtiere recipe because it is taken so closely from a recipe book. I have typed it up. I have written the directions myself. The recipe list is pretty much straight from the book, but multiplied by three, because I always make at least three. I make a whole wheat crust, but it isn't perfected yet, so I won't post it. Use any decent pie crust recipe and add a pinch of turmeric for colour if you use white flour. Or use ready made pie crust.

Tourtière based on a recipe from Madame Benoit Cooks at Home by Jehane Benoit copyright 1976 ISBN 0-07-082775-3

This makes three pies
  • 1 lb. lean ground pork
  • 1 lb. other ground meat, usually beef
  • 1 lb. other ground meat, usually lamb, sometimes chicken or turkey
  • 1 tlbsp salt
  • 1.5 tsp savory
  • 3/4 tsp ground cloves
  • 6 medium potatoes, grated
  • 3 small onions, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 - 1.5 cups water
  • 3 pie shells with tops
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tblsp water
Put all but the last three ingredients into an appropriately large pot.
Bring it to a boil, while stirring it so all the meat is broken up into very small pieces.
Once it is boiling, turn it down to a simmer and put a lid on it.
Simmer for 30 minutes.
Stir occasionally.
Take it off the heat and let it cool to near room temperature.

If you use the smaller amount of water, you may need to add some, if you use the larger amount, you may need to simmer longer to reduce the liquid. The mixture should be moist, but there should not be any liquid.

Fill the cooled meat mixture into three pie shells and cover with pie dough.
Pinch the dough at the edges.
Cut decorative vents in the upper crust or prick evenly all over with a fork.
Brush the top with the egg that has been beaten well with the two tablespoons of water.

Bake in a 400 F oven until the tops are golden.

Madame Benoit's recipe is for 1/3 of this. She uses only pork. She puts it into 6 - 8 tartlet moulds or individual pie plates.

I'm attaching the recipe as a PDF.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tourtiere with photo.pdf (259.4 KB, 219 views)
Old 11-05-2010, 01:32 AM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Copied and pasted, Thanks!

Tags
french canadian, meat pie, recipe, tourtiere

Tourtiere [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]This is a recipe from a friend of mine, its a keeper. 1 pound of ground pork per pie (or 1/2 lb pork and 1/2 lb of ground beef) 1/4 of an onion 1 tsp of sage 1/2 tsp of poultry seasoning salt and pepper to taste (dash of celery salt if you like) Mix and cook till meat turns brown, If excess juice, then pour it out but you do want some juice otherwise the pie will be dry/tough. Put browned meat mixture into the pie shell, put top crust on and bake till golden brown. If the sage is really strong, then cut back on the amount, otherwise taste test to be sure. Edit: I also use a LOT more onion. I do the whole onion myself, but I thought I'd put in the recipe as it was given to me, not my edited version![/FONT] 3 stars 1 reviews