"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 12-18-2004, 08:57 AM   #31
Master Chef

Is it considered bad manners to just add a post to bring something to the top of the heap? It is now PRIME TOURTIERE time. Anyone out there who does this, are you making it this year? I think we're waiting for New Years to make it this season.

Old 12-18-2004, 09:01 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

of course it is ok claire. we often call that "bumping" a thread up so that it gets more exposure. sometimes, someone will just post the word "bump" for that exact reason...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 09:07 AM   #33
Master Chef

Thanks, Bucky. I'm still a realative newbie on the internet. This (and before it the TV one) are the only ones I participate in regularly. I tried an old house forum, but it was too hard to use. So I don't know the protocol and various other ins & outs.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:21 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

don't worry claire, post away and enjoy yourself. we are a relaxed and friendly group, and will help newbies get into the swim of things when we can.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 11:50 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Claire, you can bring this thread up anytime, as far as I'm concerned. Haven't decided when I'm going to make it over the next week or two, but it will definitely arrive on the table!
Old 12-18-2004, 01:25 PM   #36
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
My roomate grew up thinking that every one had this for x-mass dinner and he is from Maine. Im really looking foward to him preparing it this year btw.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:27 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

Meat Pie:

Happy Holidays To Everyone...

Well I'm definitely making tourtiere but I'm going to substitute a few things in the pie. Not using any red meat or pork. I will be using ground turkey and gimme lean soy meat. I made up this gimme lean stuff with onions and garlic and it tasted like pork so I'll use that. I'm going to use organic all purpose flour for the crust and have it with some cranberries on the side. I'm serving this for Christmas Eve dinner and on Christmas Day will have the organic duck and trimmings. I can't wait, I just love duck, will serve it with an orange cornbread stuffing and orange flavoured cranberries on the side. Maybe make some hasselback potatoes and a salad too. Of course if there's any tourtiere left we can indulge in that too. Not sure about desert, have to think on that one...maybe we won't have room left for it.

FOOD LIKE BREATHING IS A FIRST BORN
EXPERIENCE.
DG

Selket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 04:33 PM   #38
Master Chef

You'll notice that my recipe calls for half lean white turkey meat. When I was a kid, the tourtiere was so heavy, and of course the adults who ate it were half-crocked. Not a good combination! Another great ingredient to lighten it up is to chop some mushrooms very, very finely and saute in olive oil, then add the meat. Traditionally, tourtiere was pork, and I'll never give that up in mine. But I'm a huge fan of taking an old tradition and making a new one from it. Turn it into something that works for you. the big tradition I've let go of is that tourtiere was meant to be eaten as a midnight meal -- or at least in the wee hours -- after a night of celebration and love. I think my freinds would think I was insane if I said, OK, we're through drinking for the night, how about some pork pie? Haha! I still haven't found a source for the beets tradition that was absolutely a part of it when I was growing up. No one else has heard of it!!
Old 12-30-2004, 07:22 AM   #39
Head Chef

I made it for Christmas Eve this year. I used all LEAN ground pork. I made my filling a day ahead, refrigerated it, and removed any fat off the top. It was delicious and not at all heavy.
I tend to go with the traditional recipes for the holiday and my family loves it.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:20 AM   #40
Assistant Cook

Tourtiere History

Hello to everyone. I was so intrigued by this post that I had to do a little research online and learn more about the history of this dish. I'm the type of fanatic that enjoys having international cuisine dinner parties based on a specific culture, and serving the traditional meal, from soup to nuts!

I've found some interesting references to it and thought I would share them with those who are interested in it.

There are several pages that refer to a pickled beet sidedish, Claire.

So here are the links to the sites that I found interesting. They contain recipes and a basic history. There are many more out there.

http://www.leveillee.net/roots/tourtiere.htm

More history
http://www.quiltersmuse.com/Tourtiere2.htm

Exploring Tourtiere
http://www.ealdormere.sca.org/vestyorvik/tortiere.html

J'aime la Tourtiere 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. - River Island Park, Woonsocket. A classic taste. A Franco tradition. Take part in our Annual Juried Tourtiere contest and see who makes the best in the Valley! Open call to participate. Contact Marilyn Bouchard at (401) 766-7983 for more information. Free Admission. - Rhode Island
http://www.film-festival.org/flickers/cal1999.htm

Quote:
"I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables...."

Tags
None