Tourtiere Pronunciation (split from recipe thread)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
love this pie (OK, love all pies - there, you made me say it!)

here's a discussion from long ago about the same lovely dish

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/tourtiere-canadian-french-meat-pie-1735-5.html

lol, a blast from the past. thanks, 'bug.

claire, you were only a newcomer back then. funny how time flies.

ok, so i haven't read every post in either dimension of time (shoot me), so just how do you pronounce the thing?

tort-ee-aire?
tort-ee-a?
torch-ee-a?

i've been pronouncing pastys like the boobie devices, not the right way until i saw adam richman talk about it on man v. food.

Last edited:
lol, a blast from the past. thanks, 'bug.

claire, you were only a newcomer back then. funny how time flies.

ok, so i haven't read every post in either dimension of time (shoot me), so just how do you pronounce the thing?

tort-ee-aire?
tort-ee-a?
torch-ee-a?

i've been pronouncing pastys like the boobie devices, not the right way until i saw adam richman talk about it on man v. food.

Tor chair

LOL, and I pronounce it tor tee air BT. My french canadian friends pronounced it that way so I just copied!

I guess they were enunciating for you ;)

I put the everyday, sloppy talking, pronunciation.

Probably! Sloppy talking? LOL! I doubt that very much taxlady. Are you bilingual? I bastardize french whenever I try. I can understand most of whats said to me, but heaven help me if I try to string a sentence together.

Sloppy talking!? My mother's family have told me I know just enough French to sound as though I'm drunk! :dizzy:

Probably! Sloppy talking? LOL! I doubt that very much taxlady. Are you bilingual? I bastardize french whenever I try. I can understand most of whats said to me, but heaven help me if I try to string a sentence together.

Yes, for some values of bilingual. I don't pass for Quebecoise, but I do understand (most of) what they say and can speak and read it. I can sort of write it.

Yes, for some values of bilingual. I don't pass for Quebecoise, but I do understand (most of) what they say and can speak and read it. I can sort of write it.

lol, you had to start.

kuh-beck-wah-zee?

kuh-beck-waz?

kwah-beck-wah?

:rolleyes:

lol, thanks. i know very little fronch. :)

i've played hockey with french speaking guys, and i never really needed to learn anything more than gauche and droite. they still cursed in english.

moo-thair fook-aire. :angel:

lol, thanks. i know very little fronch. :)

i've played hockey with french speaking guys, and i never really needed to learn anything more than gauche and droite. they still cursed in english.

moo-thair fook-aire. :angel:

Actually most Quebec swearing is church related - words like chalice and host. :LOL:

Since I'm getting ready to make my annual tourtiere, I'm chiming in (yet again) here. I have three younger sisters. Last holiday season one called and asked for my recipe for tourtiere (by the way, when I was a kid, and illiterate in Quebecoise French, I thought my relatives were saying "toot-care"). So I walked her through it on the phone. This year my "baby" sis emailed me, and I gave her my basics for making it. She was making it for, I think, a buffet meal that was to have ethnic background. She wrote me that it was a huge hit. Meat pies have fallen away the side in this country, so they are sort of a novelty; but tourtiere goes on a buffet line so darned well. In my family, everyone wants "Claire's" tourtiere.

Last night I mentioned that I'm getting ready to make my annual tourtiere when we were out to dinner. Now, in my childhood, it was made it for a late night (actually early a.m.) meal after midnight mass. Now I save it for a sort of brunch meal, any time during the holidays. When I mentioned it (to my definitely NOT Quebecoise friends) last night (That is to say Christmas eve), that I was making it sometime during the holiday season, thinking maybe New Years Day or soon after (2nd maybe, rather than 1st), they immediately hopped on board. So I guess it's become a hit here as well. At least among my friends. And I brought the tradition back single handedly to my family.

Actually, one time I said "kwuh-bek" to my friend's French (as in France-French, not Canadienne French) mother. She took me to task. "Claire, you can say that better, I know you can!!!" Ugh! I just laughed and corrected myself! DO any of you ever take to pronouncing something incorrectly just because you want to make yourself understood? Or, in some cases, if you say it correctly, people think you're putting on airs? I know my parents will pronounce certain words if they're speaking in French differently than they will if they're speaking to people who are not of Canuck background. In other words, "Kwebeck" if they're speaking to someone who speaks only American English, but "Kebeck" if it is a relative.

Claire, thanks for the reminder. I really should make some. I usually make three at once. My pie crust recipe makes three double crusts with one lb. of lard. That stuff is so tasty.

Actually, one time I said "kwuh-bek" to my friend's French (as in France-French, not Canadienne French) mother. She took me to task. "Claire, you can say that better, I know you can!!!" Ugh! I just laughed and corrected myself! DO any of you ever take to pronouncing something incorrectly just because you want to make yourself understood? Or, in some cases, if you say it correctly, people think you're putting on airs? I know my parents will pronounce certain words if they're speaking in French differently than they will if they're speaking to people who are not of Canuck background. In other words, "Kwebeck" if they're speaking to someone who speaks only American English, but "Kebeck" if it is a relative.

Definitely. I'm deep in the south. We speak a lot of what you'd call sloppy language. Mostly on purpose. Lots of double negatives, aint's etc. I have never had much of an accent, probably because my Mother was from Maine, but didn't have an accent, my Daddy was from Raleigh. Lots of twang there, but I learned to talk in Arizona. I can turn southern on anytime I like. Depending on who you are speaking to, it's just kind of friendly sounding.

Here in New Orleans, the patois is very difficult to understand, especially when so many speak like they have a mouth full of grits.:ROFLMAO:

I get to have some at my mother's house tomorrow. We are French Canadian and she makes it every year. She usually serves it on Boxing Day as an addition to Christmas turkey leftovers. I like to have it with a green tomato relish we call "green chow". Chase it down with an ice cold beer. I likey!:)
Roch

Back
Top Bottom