"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 12-15-2005, 11:46 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
... I must tell you that I have always fantasized about traveling across Russia by train. ...

Believe me you don't ever, and I mean Ever want to travel by train thru Russia. There is nothing glorious about it.

Old 12-15-2005, 05:15 PM   #12
Executive Chef

What's wrong with the Trans-Siberian Railway, CharlieD. The scenery is great, the train is luxurious... and you can start the journey from London and end up in Beijing..

http://www.seat61.com/Trans-Siberian.htm

Old 12-16-2005, 07:23 AM   #13
Master Chef

Okay, I'll admit I haven't been in Russia for the last decade or so and a lot has changed, but some how images from the past, my past, time when I was there are horrible, I don't know if they were able to change that much in that short period of time. Anybody I've talked to, who have been visiting last decade or so, say that mentality has not changed. And if that is so, then the train ride today is not much different from what it was 10-20 years ago. You must be an adventurer to take such voyage.

As far as scenery goes, Russia is by far one of the most beautiful countries there is, or it could have been if it was not ruined by decades of Soviet mismanagement and mistreatment, others might argue different, but thatís subjective.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:13 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna
100 gr f rost bacon fat (insted you can also use olive oil or pig fat)
I'm curious what is "frost bacon"? It sounds neat.

Don't worry at all about your English Joanna, we can understand what you are saying just fine

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:27 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Could you mean 'roast' bacon - as in 'grilled' (I think Americans call that broiling food?)
Old 12-16-2005, 09:29 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
Could you mean 'roast' bacon - as in 'grilled' (I think Americans call that broiling food?)
Good thought Ish, that could be it - would roast then translate to cooked? Yes, what is called grilling in the UK is called broiling in the US/Canada - grilling to us means throwing steaks on the bbq and lighten' it up!

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:39 AM   #17
Executive Chef

The hurdles that this 'common language' we all speak presents are often difficult to surmount!
Old 12-16-2005, 10:48 AM   #18
Master Chef

Yeah, the bacon, if it is simply grilled or roast how would you mix it in with the rest of the stuff?
Old 12-16-2005, 02:17 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

another hurdle: what cut of pork is the bacon from, and is it cured or smoked in any way?

what americans call bacon is called streaky or back rashers in ireland and the uk. irish bacon is closer to a boiled ham than cured or smoked pork belly.

and slovakian bacon is a cured pork tenderloin, like canadian bacon, which is close to a new jersey favorite, taylor ham.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 05:05 PM   #20
Executive Chef

See what I mean about this 'common language' thingy?

Tags
None