Travel from Asia -Uzbekistan to Russia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're absolutely right - but when I talk about Moscovado sugar - Canadians understand, but not Americans. When I talk about bacon, Aussies understand,but not Canadians or Americans.... Talk about confusing :cool:

buckytom said:
another hurdle: what cut of pork is the bacon from, and is it cured or smoked in any way?

what americans call bacon is called streaky or back rashers in ireland and the uk. irish bacon is closer to a boiled ham than cured or smoked pork belly.
Yes this one really threw me for a loop at first. I remember buying a piece of bacon for DH, that looked a little like a 1.5 lb piece of smoked ham might in Canada. I fried some up for him and became leery as I was cooking, it no longer looked like bacon (which I had assumed it was, or rather assumed it was similar to Canadian bacon) but like pieces of Spam or canned ham. I seasoned it, but did not salt it which turned out tobe a good thing. When he ate it, he said that it clearly did not taste bacon (as he and I eash think of bacon, lol, or probably for him as he thinks of pancetta) but some type of ham, and was so salty that he could not finish it (and he liked salt!). I haven't bought that one again, but if I do I wil be soaking it for sure:) Ishbel is right on the money, it's amazing how one culinary word can mean so many different things around the globe.

I loved this line!! Don't feel bad about your English, no one here should. If you get your message across, and you will, that's what counts. As others have mentioned, many Americans/Brits don't do a great job of English themselves. And few of us are truly competent in a second language. That's a great thing about food -- a great meal celebrated together IS a common language. In my life I've been fortunate enough to sit down to food with people I couldn't actually communicate with verbally, but a toast, a sip, a bite and that great smile that comes upon your face when you get a bite of something you love -- well it speaks volumes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom