"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-05-2005, 04:18 PM   #1
Cook

Tsatsiki

Alix, and all who love Tsatiki here is my receipe, but a good greek one is still better:

I always make more, it keeps for days:

so for one person you need:

9 oz of german Quark ( it is a thicker version of Yoghurt and has at least 20 percent fat).
2 Garlic Cloves, peeled and crushed
Cucumber (the Quark must not be to overlaoded) grated
salt and pepper to taste

Grate the cucumber (peeled or not) and place in a dish. Add salt so that the cucumber can loose fluid. Leave for half an hour. Put the quark in a bowl and add the crúshed garlic. Remove the cucumber and squeeze out the excess water. Add to the Quark. Mix together and now add the pepper and the salt to taste. Don't forget that the cucumber has had salt on it.

Its great with baked potatoes and a BBQ

Susi

Old 08-05-2005, 04:19 PM   #2
Everymom

Thanks Susi, this looks easy as anything. I am going to try it tomorrow. Just need to get some Quark.

Old 08-05-2005, 04:26 PM   #3
Hospitality Queen

Isn't Quark a computer program too?

I've had this recipe, called Tzatziki (I think) at the cold section at Trader Joes. It's so good!!!
Old 08-05-2005, 07:24 PM   #4
Sous Chef

quark1 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kwôrk, kwärk)
n.

Any of a group of six elementary particles having electric charges of a magnitude one-third or two-thirds that of the electron, regarded as constituents of all hadrons. See table at subatomic particle.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:06 PM   #5
Sous Chef

You can substitute ricotta cheese for the quark. They are similar in consistancy.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:20 PM   #6
Cook

hi velchic,

thanks for the tip, I really dont know. I am maore a native german speaker now having lived here for so many years and I am always greatful for tips and suggestions.

Will keep the ricotta cheese in mind or when I do make a mistake then I can rely on you?

Love Susi
Old 08-12-2005, 04:28 PM   #7
Cook

Thumbs up quark/Labni/yoghurt

Greek yogurt like Fage is great for this. Also labni which is made by placing good full cream yogurt in cheesecloth. Use several layers, hang over sink for 8+ hours. You will end up with a nice thick consistency. It is good with zataar, olive oil, grated cucumbers, and dipped with pita bread. Eat along with some olives and heirloom tomatoes such as the huge Thessaloniki Ox Heart tomatoes-that taste of the sun!

Mary-Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susi
Alix, and all who love Tsatiki here is my receipe, but a good greek one is still better:

I always make more, it keeps for days:

so for one person you need:

9 oz of german Quark ( it is a thicker version of Yoghurt and has at least 20 percent fat).
2 Garlic Cloves, peeled and crushed
Cucumber (the Quark must not be to overlaoded) grated
salt and pepper to taste

Grate the cucumber (peeled or not) and place in a dish. Add salt so that the cucumber can loose fluid. Leave for half an hour. Put the quark in a bowl and add the crúshed garlic. Remove the cucumber and squezze out the excess water. Add to the Quark. Mix together and now add the pepper and the salt to taste. Dont forget that the cucumber has had salt on it.

Its great with baked potatoes and a BBQ

Susi
Old 08-14-2005, 07:15 AM   #8
Master Chef

susi, almost the same i make it.. ;o)

i only substitute 1/3 of the Quark with "Frühlingsquark", that ist Quark with a variation of herbs in it.

in my opinion ricotta does not have the taste of Quark, but I know that you won't get it in the US....
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 05:16 PM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
The quark we get here in the UK seems to have a lot less fat than yours, usually 1 - 2% fat. I normally use yoghurt for tzatziki, but I will give the quark a try. My dh used to hate cucumbers, but he loves them now!!!
Old 09-01-2005, 06:28 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Floridagirl Send a message via MSN to Floridagirl
Hi all,

I think farmers cheese is a better substitude for quark then ricotta. And if you use ricotta, drain it very well. I'll also post a recipe for homemade quark. It's easy to make and nothing is better than real quark

Iris

Tags
None