Turkish Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ron Hay

Assistant Cook
Hello, friends,

Do you have some wonderful Turkish family recipes to share? I just love Turkish food and have a bunch of lovely eggplants I would love to fix in some Turkish dishes.

Thanks!
Ron

Msalper is a Turkish member here - not sure where he lives in Turkey but I'm sure if you PM him, he'd be glad to give you some of his family recipes.

My dh is from Turkey, so we cook Turkish food regularly. Some ingredients we can't get at all and some we order from an online Turkish grocery. My sil is a great cook and everytime we visit them in Istanbul, she teaches me something new. :)

What kind of Turkish dish are you looking for? They have a very lovely cold meze called Beğendi which is like pureed eggplant. It is a cold meze that starts with roasted eggplant (like roasted pepppers). You can stuff eggplant, but you have to have the slim eggplants they have in Turkey (NOT the huge bitter eggplants we have in the US). You can also batter and fry them. If you give me an idea about what you are looking for, I can try to help. Also remember that within Turkey itself, you have a HUGE array of different cultural cuisine.

Anyway, I can try to help until Msalper comes along... who I can personally say, gives great advice on Turkish cooking.

Last edited:
well, an easy yummy stuffed eggplant ( middle eastern for sure, but maybe not Turkish) is halved and scooped like you would for a twice baked potato. cube the eggplant you have removed as much as possible. brown ground beef or lamb (or turkey if you like) and add the eggplant, onion and garlic (sliced or chopped) diced tomato, season with salt and pepper, cumin, chili flakes, parsley, oregano, and bake (350*) until tender and "juicy" (30 to 45 min). you can add feta cheese at the start to the stuffing or crumble on top at the end or both!

if the eggplant is "bitter" salt the cubes and let drain on paper or in a colander for 30 min to and hour.

:chef:

Back
Top Bottom