Utimate stupidity - need help recreating Mexican menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keep talking. I think I'm just going to order 60 lbs of meat. and maybe get everything else by box from comercial supplier

There ya go. And if someone didn't get enough to eat, well they didn't need that 4th taco anyway, and can stop at Taco Bell on the way home!!! :-p

Keep talking. I think I'm just going to order 60 lbs of meat. and maybe get everything else by box from comercial supplier
;)That sounds better.Better safe than sorry.If theres any meat left over take it home and freeze for tacos for later at home.

I doubt they will let me. The event is put out by boys school, there are like 40 teenage boys living in the dorm, I would guess if there is anything left, providing it is good, they will have it for breakfast. :)

The easiest thing you can do is find a recipe for 10 people, and then increase it, exponentially. Figure on two tacos per person.

There are brands of soy cheese and soy sour cream....

Thank you to everybody who helped. Event went great. I had plenty of help some good some not so good, but in the end everybody were very happy.

I made 40 lbs of ground meat, which I think 30 lbs would have been just enough, and 3 full pans of (my version) of Spanish rice. About 12 lbs of uncooked rice. Strangely nobody ate any beans, even though I thought they were great, even I liked them and normally I do not eat beans. I think people were not sure what it was. One thing, just like last time, I had a helper with guacamole, and it got ruined, everybody ate anyway. It is amazing how much people like guacamole.
We only had hard corn tacos and I wish the organizers listen to me and got at least some soft tacos. Some people skip the tacos and ate meat with rice and veggies.
Anyway thank you again.

Charlie just found this thread.

Recently went to a buffet taco bar with soft flour tortillas. Iw was catered by a local Tex-Mex place. Seems to me the soft tortillas worked better than the preformed hard corn ones.

I think people probably put less meat in them. But there were large bowls of fillings. And beans (don't folks in MN know about frijoles?) that many folks put on their tacos.

They too had Spanish rice. And then there were tortilla chips and plenty of dip, That had the way of filling up the troops without them going back for more meat, etc.

Glad it all went so well. But I still do not understand no takers for the frijoles.

Take care.

Last year I did this Mexican party. It went well, thanks to many who helped me with the recipes here. :chef: The one thing I did not do and about to shoot my self, I did not write anything down. :(

I do have pretty good Idea about recipes, but not sure about quantities. So dear professionals please help me with the numbers.

Menu is very simple open taco bar for about 150 people adults and kids.

Here is quick run down:

Soft and/or hard shell tacos depends on availability
Ground meat
Shredded lettuce
Bell peppers (maybe, sliced or diced)
Tomatoes
Red onions
Guacamole
Maybe some chili peppers
Spanish rice like
Some kind of beans, if I can find refried would be the best if not I’ll make this mixture: beans, read onion, garlic and salt all put thru food processor
Tortilla chips
Salsa

Anything else? I’m open for any advice on menu and for sure need help with the numbers.
The even is kosher that is why there is no dairy products.

Charlie, I went back and did a search under "Mexican" threads & found your rice thread:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/mexican-rice-19635.html

Do you recall if you started any threads around that time? Maybe you can find the quantities for the rest of the meal/menu. Just a thought.

Here's a link for recipes & quantities for cooking for a crowd:
50 Plus Cookbook -- Cooking for a Crowd

Check out the Mexican Lasagna, Spanish Rice, etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom