"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 01-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Vegetarian huevos rancheros

Hi everyone. I have made huevos rancheros before and I put bacon and chorizo in it. I have some veggie friends coming for dinner in a few days and I thought I'd try and do a meat free version of this dish. How can I get some of the rich flavours without meat? Any ideas? Perhaps I could use artificial bacon slices, for example. Thanks for any help. :-)

Old 01-31-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Hi, from a different thread, welcome to DC.

I think you need not serve meat with Huevos Rancheros. The salsa provides plenty of flavor. Eggs are a protein food. If you serve refried beans on the side, that is again is a protein food, I think.

You could also sprinkle the tops of the eggs with a grated cheese, and run the plate under the broiler to melt briefly, ( or not) if you want. Or serve with a dollop of sour cream.

Serve with some slices of avocado spritzed with lemon on lime juice as a garnish.

Fried or poached eggs are best. Corn tortillas.

Actually a very tasty meal.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
Wine Guy

Actually, most recipes for Huevos Rancheros ARE vegetarian (or to be precise, lacto-ovo vegetarian). I've seen very few recipes that call for meat. Just make sure the tortillas don't contain lard.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

I hadn't thought about the cheese. What a great idea. Thanks for your help. This is one of my favourite dishes.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Wow. I always assumed it was first and foremost a meat dish. Well am happy that I will be able to give my friends a spicy treat. I'll check the tortillas for lard. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Also, how do you do the salsa? I can make one but I am wondering if anyone has a special twist on this?
Old 01-31-2013, 03:53 PM   #7
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbecuardo View Post
Also, how do you do the salsa? I can make one but I am wondering if anyone has a special twist on this?
For something like Huevos Rancheros, I think Pico de Gallo might be a better option. Basically, it's just fresh salsa, but with larger chunks of vegetables, so it has more texture. Simple to make, too.

4 ripe Roma tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 cup cilantro (coriander leaf), chopped
Two or three good pinches of salt.

Mix it all together and allow to sit for several hours to blend the flavors.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
Sous Chef

I live in South Texas and huevos rancheros is everywhere and doesn't usually come with meat at all. At every restaurant I've been to it's two eggs any style, refried beans, and papas fritas--fried potato cubes, and the eggs have a ranchero sauce. Though the sauce to my knowledge usually contains chicken broth, and the refried beans contain lard, so they're not veggie friendly in that regard. As was pointed out, flour tortillas can contain lard, though that's usually the homemade ones. All the storebought ones I've seen are vegan. I prefer corn tortillas anyway--tons more flavor.

For future reference, there are several brands of soy chorizo that make a great substitute. I use it all the time for breakfast tacos. Way less grease, tons of flavor. If you have a Whole Foods, they carry Upton's tempeh chorizo that's delicious as well, if not a little pricey but then again it's at Whole Foods so there's a premium on everything.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Ralphs (kroger) also has soy chorizo

Tags
vegetarian