"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 05:30 PM   #61
Master Chef

Clearly, the subject at hand from the start was "Chinese Velveting 101", not the British concept, nor the American for that matter.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/07/c...velveting.html

Old 04-03-2016, 05:37 PM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Clearly, the subject at hand from the start was "Chinese Velveting 101", not the British concept, nor the American for that matter.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/07/c...velveting.html
+1..

Old 04-03-2016, 05:42 PM   #63
Head Chef

Wink

Clearly different cultures put their spin on it though...would you agree?

(Hence what has taken place here).

I thank Cooking Goddess for pointing out this factor. It brought clarity to the situation.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:02 PM   #64
Master Chef

Creative, in this country there are those who refer to cooking outdoors on a grill as "Barbecue". Others will say that something like a steak quickly cooked should be called "grilled", not "Barbecued". Still others call it what they like. It seems to me that British "velveting" is only a descriptive word, rather than a cooking technique.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:05 PM   #65
Head Chef

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Creative, in this country there are those who refer to cooking outdoors on a grill as "Barbecue". Others will say that something like a steak quickly cooked should be called "grilled", not "Barbecued". Still others call it what they like. It seems to me that British "velveting" is only a descriptive word, rather than a cooking technique.
Fair enough. I accepted that when Cooking Goddess pointed this out, hence why I thanked her!

Like I say, I put more value on how food tastes rather than getting hung up on textbook authenticity.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:09 PM   #66
Master Chef

I think it's official...the horse is dead.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:16 PM   #67
Master Chef

I think we beat PF to killing this thread, Kayelle. I just hope PF doesn't start killing US!
Old 04-03-2016, 06:17 PM   #68
Chef Extraordinaire

Hu
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Fair enough. I accepted that when Cooking Goddess pointed this out, hence why I thanked her!

Like I say, I put more value on how food tastes rather than getting hung up on textbook authenticity.
When people are discussing something specific, though, it's helpful if everyone uses the same terminology. This helps to avoid misunderstandings.

When I was in tech support, people would say, "That's just what I like to call it" a lot. It made it harder for me to figure out what the problem was when people wouldn't use standard terms.

Maybe rolling your eyes at people has a different meaning in the U.K., too, I dunno.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:52 AM   #69
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
When people are discussing something specific, though, it's helpful if everyone uses the same terminology. This helps to avoid misunderstandings.
I did use the same terminology. However, it became clear of the cultural differences that's all.
Maybe you missed that? Perhaps if our situations were reversed, i.e. you lived in UK, you would understandably be making the same innocent mistake.

Also, please bear in mind that the word 'velveting' used as the title of this thread is itself in brackets i.e. "velveting"! ...... pause for thought maybe?
Old 04-04-2016, 07:23 AM   #70
Chef Extraordinaire

Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
[COLOR=Purple]I did use the same terminology. However, it became clear of the cultural differences that's all.
Maybe you missed that? Perhaps if our situations were reversed, i.e. you lived in UK, you would understandably be making the same innocent mistake.
Same terminology means using the same words *and* the same definitions. People kept explaining what we were talking about and you kept insisting that your definition applied. That's not a cultural mistake.

Don't worry, friends, I'm done. This is ridiculous.

Tags
None