"Velveting" for Stir Fry dishes? Do you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Clearly different cultures put their spin on it though...would you agree?

(Hence what has taken place here).

I thank Cooking Goddess for pointing out this factor. It brought clarity to the situation.
icon_thumleft.gif

Last edited:
Creative, in this country there are those who refer to cooking outdoors on a grill as "Barbecue". Others will say that something like a steak quickly cooked should be called "grilled", not "Barbecued". Still others call it what they like. It seems to me that British "velveting" is only a descriptive word, rather than a cooking technique.

Creative, in this country there are those who refer to cooking outdoors on a grill as "Barbecue". Others will say that something like a steak quickly cooked should be called "grilled", not "Barbecued". Still others call it what they like. It seems to me that British "velveting" is only a descriptive word, rather than a cooking technique.
Fair enough. I accepted that when Cooking Goddess pointed this out, hence why I thanked her!

Like I say, I put more value on how food tastes rather than getting hung up on textbook authenticity. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hu
Fair enough. I accepted that when Cooking Goddess pointed this out, hence why I thanked her!

Like I say, I put more value on how food tastes rather than getting hung up on textbook authenticity. :rolleyes:

When people are discussing something specific, though, it's helpful if everyone uses the same terminology. This helps to avoid misunderstandings.

When I was in tech support, people would say, "That's just what I like to call it" a lot. It made it harder for me to figure out what the problem was when people wouldn't use standard terms.

Maybe rolling your eyes at people has a different meaning in the U.K., too, I dunno.

Last edited:
When people are discussing something specific, though, it's helpful if everyone uses the same terminology. This helps to avoid misunderstandings.
I did use the same terminology. However, it became clear of the cultural differences that's all.
Maybe you missed that? Perhaps if our situations were reversed, i.e. you lived in UK, you would understandably be making the same innocent mistake.

Also, please bear in mind that the word 'velveting' used as the title of this thread is itself in brackets i.e. "velveting"! ...... pause for thought maybe?

Last edited:
Dr
I did use the same terminology. However, it became clear of the cultural differences that's all.
Maybe you missed that? Perhaps if our situations were reversed, i.e. you lived in UK, you would understandably be making the same innocent mistake.

Same terminology means using the same words *and* the same definitions. People kept explaining what we were talking about and you kept insisting that your definition applied. That's not a cultural mistake.

Don't worry, friends, I'm done. This is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom