"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-04-2006, 10:10 AM   #11
Master Chef

In that recipe the meat is not cooked first.

So make sure not to overfill the rolls.

Old 08-04-2006, 11:48 AM   #12
Head Chef

Hey Pom,

I hav a Mai Pham cookbook. Though I don't honestly use it, I bought it because she makes a decent curry. Her egg roll recipe isn't too great (IMO), but that's just me. A lot of times I think that Asian restauranters and cook book authors deviate from "authentic" recipes. Why, not sure...but that's what I've noticed about Vietnamese recipes.

The problem with cooking your pork first that you will get cooked meat crumbles. Think back to biting into an egg roll at a Vietnamese resturant, the meat never falls out this is cuz it's rolled raw and cooked.

The recipe below looks ok. If it were me, I would ditch the chicken and replace it with shrimp. I'd also ditch the bean spouts. Never seen bean sprouts in a Vietnamese egg roll. (Ms. Pham, what were you thinking??? )You are also missing what I call the filler. Most recipes will have taro or jiciama in them.

On the green onions, try using just the green part. Cut it into long pieces (the length of your roll). Spread your meat on the paper, put the green onion in and then roll it. A little way to make it fancy or "kick it up".

Also, once you have assembled all of your filling, take a tiny little spoonful and cook it on a frying pan. This will allow you to adjust your seasoning as needed.

p.s. this is all stuff I would do for an authentic egg roll. If you're not looking for authenic, and just want to experiment, by all means add whatever sounds good.

Old 08-04-2006, 12:04 PM   #13
Master Chef

I love her "Pleasures of the Vietnamese Table!"
Old 08-04-2006, 12:57 PM   #14
Head Chef

That's the one I have Jenny. One of the reasons I bought it is cuz it's got pictures of the Asian herbs. I never knew what a lot of them were called in English before. The only recipes I've tried making to what she says is the curry and the shrimp on sugarcane. The sugarcane shrimp tastes good but is not authentic at all.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:59 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

htc, thanks. I will try your suggestions. Im trying to keep it kindof simple, especially for the first time, because of my kids. If they get a hint of something to wierd Ive lost them. I will definitly post on how they turn out. Im planning on making them later today. Wish me luck!
pom_mom

Pomeranians are like potato chips, you cant have just one!
pom_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:02 PM   #16
Master Chef

GOOD LUCK!

I have made a few things from the cookbook, but I really like her stories the best. And, like you, I am interested in learning about many of the weird herbs and veggies that they sell at my asian market that are not so helpfully labeled "vegetable" (<---- yes, I can see that ... but what kind of vegetable?)
Old 08-04-2006, 03:12 PM   #17
Head Chef

Good Luck Pom!! Let us know how it turns out. YOu'll know the rolls are ready when they float. Yum yum yum.

Yes, the herbs/veggies thing always drives me nuts. It's ok when I'm communicating w/ family, but try teaching your American hubby to grocery shop at the Asian store. Though I have to admit, he's pretty good now since he always goes with me.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:19 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Hey all. I made my spring rolls last night and they turned out AWESOME! I was so happy. I followed the recipe pretty closely but I think I can play around with some of the seasonings now. I just wanted to say thanks for advice for everybody. This forum is great!!

pom_mom

Pomeranians are like potato chips, you cant have just one!
pom_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 09:01 AM   #19
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
hey thats great your spring rolls turned out fine!

A lot depends on how thick they are also. I would not be afraid to add chicken the next time either, just cook them at at least 165 degrees and enjoy!!
Chicken is taking a bad rap these days but really, the probs with camplylobacter have been with those chickadees since day one. Just gotta prepare it and cook it to temp and all will be well.
I make similar recipe Spring Rolls and have done for years, with chicken and no problems.
And I enjoy the fresh spring rolls also where cooked chicken/pork/beef is added to fillings. Have you tried these??

Tags
None