"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-03-2006, 09:26 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Vietnamese Spring Rolls question? (merged)

Hi all. I found a really good recipe for spring rolls and im going to try to make them. The recipe calls for ground pork but it doesnt say if I should cook it first, before adding it to the other ingredients, and then wrapping in rice paper and deep frying. I think that I should probably cook it first but im not sure?? Any advice? Plus, if anyone has tried these and has any tips that would be great too!
Thanks, pom_mom

Old 08-03-2006, 09:32 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

YES, cook first.

Old 08-04-2006, 12:10 AM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pom_mom
Hi all. I found a really good recipe for spring rolls and im going to try to make them. The recipe calls for ground pork but it doesnt say if I should cook it first, before adding it to the other ingredients, and then wrapping in rice paper and deep frying. I think that I should probably cook it first but im not sure?? Any advice? Plus, if anyone has tried these and has any tips that would be great too!
Thanks, pom_mom
First advice:
  • Never anger Gretchen
Second advice
  • Don't put anything in a deep fried spring roll that isn't already cooked or can't be eaten raw.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:25 AM   #4
Head Chef

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. If you are making Vietnamese egg/spring rolls you never precook the pork. Chinese rolls can require cooked pork depending on what variation of roll you are making.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:41 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Well, thanks for the welcome and

First of all, I wasnt trying to "anger" anyone.

Second, I thought if I posted on a different thread under "Ethnic" I would get more replies.
So, thanks anyway.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:42 AM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. If you are making Vietnamese egg/spring rolls you never precook the pork. Chinese rolls can require cooked pork depending on what variation of roll you are making.
This is not an area of expertise for me but, if spring rolls are deep fried in rice paper would the contents not be raw when the exterior became overcooked?
I ask this with only the utmost respect.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:51 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

I think that is why you deep fry them at a lower temperature, so the inside will cook too. But thats just my opinion, I could be wrong. Like I said, I havent made them before and was just looking for advice.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:28 AM   #8
Head Chef

My first reply was mostly tongue in cheek but now my curiosity is aroused and I confess that this is not an area I know a lot about. Please explain more. What kind of pork? What kind of outer coating? Temperature? Seasonings? Sauce?

Old 08-04-2006, 04:40 AM   #9
Master Chef

Pom Mom ...

First off, welcome to DC! We do have a few scamps in here with a bit of a sense of humor ... please don't be put off by a bit of levity. For example: Gretchen is a very kind person who is willing to help anyone ... and if she bites she doesn't leave any teeth marks, generally - depending on if she has her teeth in or not! (an example of levity ...)

Asking the same, or similar, questions in more than one forum will result in the posts being merged and one forum deleted.

Now - back to your original question ... what did the recipe say? If it didn't call for "pre-cooking" then it obviously doesn't need to be. If you choose to ... nothing wrong with that if it makes you feel better. We have a Vietnamese place that makes the best springrolls I've ever tasted - everything appears to go in raw ... don't have a clue as to the temp of the oil ... but they sure taste great to me! And, they take longer to cook than the "egg rolls" at the Chinese place down the street - so perhaps they are cooked at a lower temp for a little longer time?

We have an International community of cooks - although some fail to include where they are from in their profile - and the "where they live" profile can sometimes be remiss in explaining their cultural knowledge.

I'm betting htc has some ideas worth listening to ...
Old 08-04-2006, 07:20 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Thank you, Michael. I have thick skin so getting bit every once in awhile doesnt hurt to bad. Anyway, the recipe is as follows and comes from a chef in California at a restaurant called Lemongrass. Her name is Mai Pham.

Filling:
1 ounce dried bean thread noodles, soaked, drained, and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2/3 cup yellow onion
2 carrots, grated
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup bean sprouts
2 eggs
2 T. fish sauce
1/2 T minced garlic
1/4 t. salt
2 t. sugar
1/2 t. black pepper
1/2 lb. ground chicken
1/2 lb ground pork

Assembling & Frying
2 T. cornstarch
1/3 cup water
15 thin spring roll wrappers
Oil for frying

Cpmbine the noodles, onion, carrots, and green onions in a mixing bowl. Set aside. Beat eggs in a large bowl. mix fish sauce, garlic,salt, sugar, & black pepper. Add the chicken & pork and using a fork, breal up the meat, so it is thoroughly mixed with the seasonings. Add the noodle mixture & mix well. Set aside. Combine cornstarch & water in small saucepan. Bring to a boil over low heat & stir often to prevent sticking. If mixture seems to thick, add more water. This will be the "glue" to seal the edges of the wrapper.
Cut the wrappers in half diagonally. You will have two equal triangles. Starting with the longest side toward you, place about 2 T. of filling on the bottom area of the triangle. Using your fingers, mold the filling into a cylinder 2" long and 1" wide. Fold the two pointed ends of the wrapper in & roll to enclose. Dab a little cornstarch mix along the edges & seal the roll. Set aside while finishing remaining rolls. To fry, preheat a large wok or fry pan. When hot, pour enough oil in to completely cover rolls. Heat to about 325*. Carefully place the rolls into the oil. Do not crowd the pan. Fry rolls until filling is cooked, about 5-6 minutes on each side, turning often until they are nicely browned & crisp. If they brown to quickly, reduce heat, oil is to hot. Remove from oil and place on paper towel.

Im not going to add the ground chicken, im just using pork. Also, it says you can use dried tree ear mushrooms but im not adding those either (because my kids dont like them). So, if you have any suggestions please let me know. I know getting the technique for rolling them can be tricky but hopefully it wont be to hard. But my original ?, should I cook the pork first? I dont think that you do because it says " Fry until filling is cooked", but I wanted to be sure.
Thanks again.
pom_mom

Tags
None