"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
"DRESSING

1/4cup water
1/2cup sugar
1clove garlic, finely chopped
1small shallot, finely chopped
1/2cup Asian fish sauce
2tablespoons lime juice
2teaspoons salt.

1. In a small saucepan bring the water to a boil. Add the sugar and cook over low heat, stirring, just until it dissolves; set aside to cool.
2. Stir in the garlic and shallot and cook 30 minutes more.
3. Add the fish sauce, lime juice, and salt. Mix well and set aside."

I buy a bag of cole slaw mix (wash it) and then add in whatever I feel like from this general list of goodies: shredded chicken, chopped shrimp, pressed tofu, shredded daikon or red radish, bean sprouts, julienned snow peas, red onion, scallion, cilantro, watercress, mint, thai basil, bird peppers or jalepenos, bean thread or rice noodles.
Thanks for your comments! Yeah, that's just a spring roll turned inside out without the rice wrap. The sauce is well within the parameters of the Nuoc Cham sauce recipes I've seen and used. If you leave the sauce out and put it in a dipping dish instead, and wrap the salad in individual rice wrappers you'd have Vietnamese spring rolls!

Old 08-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #32
Master Chef

The rolls taste a lot better when the filling is tossed with some of the sauce before you roll them up. But you've got to eat them right away.

And I totally agree on the fresh herbs. They are a must.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #33
Sous Chef

I've been a big fan of fresh summer rolls after trying them at my favorite Vietnamese restaurant. I used to even make them about once a week at the height of my obsession.

Favorite way to serve them was a sauce of simply chopped fresh peanuts, nuac cham, hoisin, and sambal all mixed up. I like to load the sambal into the sauce so it's super spicy.

When I used to make them I would season a pork shoulder with a rub made from ground fresh star anise, salt, black pepper, white pepper, cinnamon, paprika, and fresh ground/toasted cumin. Then I roasted it in the oven until it was cooked through, but not quite fall-apart-tender. Took it out, cool, wrapped it tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerated it for a few hours. Once it was chilled, I took it out and added thin slices of it to the summer rolls along with shrimp, cilantro, thai basil, scallion, rice noodles, and a tiny sprinkle of salt. Pretty stellar.

One of these days I'll get down to the Asian market and snag some more ingredients and do these again. I miss making them. It was always such a task to get them to roll into perfect little cylinders.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:27 PM   #34
Executive Chef

The first time I ordered Spring Rolls, they presented Albino wraps to our table, I was sure I had ordered the Wrong Thing. I don't do well with Mysterious Foods> in Unfamliar Environments >> These were simply wonderfull with whole pink shrimp showing through the wrappers. Everything was so crisp inside. And the Sauce was different from Vietnamese fried egg rolls too. Guess I Did order the Right Thing that day.

We are blessed to have a large Vietnamese ( as well as other SE Asian) communities and many good / affordable restaurants to choose. I have somehow come to equate spring rolls as a good lunch dish. Making them at home would be a real splurge.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:30 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
The first time I ordered Spring Rolls, they presented Albino wraps to our table, I was sure I had ordered the Wrong Thing. I don't do well with Mysterious Foods> in Unfamliar Environments >> These were simply wonderfull with whole pink shrimp showing through the wrappers. Everything was so crisp inside. And the Sauce was different from Vietnamese fried egg rolls too. Guess I Did order the Right Thing that day.
That pretty much describes my reaction too, except I didn't like them the first time. I was confused. I expected something fried.

It took me some time to adjust to the concept, and the second time I tried them I really liked them. And obviously continue to like them or I wouldn't have gotten involved to the point of making my own.

Tags
recipe, rolls

Vietnamese Spring Rolls (served fresh, not fried) Vietnamese spring rolls differ from the usual egg rolls and some spring rolls that are fried, and instead are served fresh and uncooked. What I like about Vietnamese style is that the ingredients are so wholesome (fresh vegetables and herbs, some noodles, shrimp or tofu) and bypass the oil absorption that results from fried egg rolls. The sauces are piquant and flavorsome. [IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2179/2514529171_b9b49b2d36.jpg[/IMG] They are filled with basil leaves, cilantro, mint leaves, sliver or matchstick cut carrots, sometimes lettuce, sometimes cucumber slivers, vermicelli (cellophane) noodles, and cooked shrimp or tofu or sometimes left out for vegetarian spring rolls. Then served cold with Nuoc Cham dipping sauce (lime juice, fish sauce, white vinegar, minced Thai chili peppers, minced garlic, sugar, etc.) or served with peanut dipping sauce (peanut butter, fish sauce, chili peppers, etc.), or both. The rice wrappers are briefly soaked in warm water until they just begin to get flexible (leave them a bit too long and they fall apart), then line up the ingredients across the middle leaving room to fold the ends over. The vegetables and herbs are sliced into thin slivers so they can spread across the entire roll and not get lumped. Leaving out the shrimp/tofu you fold the ends over and roll the wrapper part way, then put 3-4 shrimp halves (or tofu) in a line across the wrapper, roll a half turn and repeat shrimp/tofu, finish rolling. They can be kept in a refrigerator for a few hours but are much better served immediately and near room temperature. Leave them in too long and the wrappers lose their strength and fall apart while eating. Various Nuoc Cham sauces and peanut sauces are included in the recipe linkss following: [URL="http://www.mycookinghut.com/2008/07/29/vietnamese-spring-rolls/"]Vietnamese Spring Rolls | My Cooking Hut[/URL] [URL="http://chopchopatoz.blogspot.com/2008/12/vietnamese-cold-spring-roll.html"]chop chop a to z: Vietnamese cold spring roll[/URL] [URL="http://allrecipes.com/recipe/vietnamese-fresh-spring-rolls/"]Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls Recipe - Allrecipes.com[/URL] [URL="http://www.tinyurbankitchen.com/2009/07/vietnamese-spring-rolls.html"]Tiny Urban Kitchen: Vietnamese Spring Rolls[/URL] (good step-by-step) There are many variations in the recipes and you can find more examples, [URL="https://www.google.com/search?q=vietnamese+spring+roll+recipes"]Google Vietnamese spring roll recipes[/URL]. [SIZE=2][SIZE=1](note: I originally began this post as a reply to another topic on egg rolls but decided fresh spring rolls was sort of off topic for a fried egg roll discussion.)[/SIZE][/SIZE] 3 stars 1 reviews