"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 02-18-2007, 11:41 AM   #1
Master Chef

What are Mooncakes?

I've been reading about Chinese New Year, and mooncakes are mentioned as a typical treat...but I can't find anything that describes them.
What are they, exactly?

Old 02-18-2007, 11:48 AM   #2
Head Chef

DH says he is a Moon cake expert Contstance, having eaten them in UK, China and Canada (not sure why UK and Canada make him an expert but anyway...he'll dictate I'll type!!)

The are little dense pastry cakes, of varying sizes full of things like lotus paste, coconut, redbean etc. The main thing to empahasise is the heavy dense nature of them. They are sweet, but DH equates the texture of them with a Britsh pork pie. But he really likes them and would recommend them. Even for this gluton though, one at a time is enough!

Old 02-18-2007, 11:49 AM   #3
Head Chef

DH is showing me pictures courtesy of google, simply google image moon cake!
Old 02-18-2007, 11:59 AM   #4
Master Chef

Thanks, Lulu...I'll do that!
Old 02-18-2007, 12:13 PM   #5
Master Chef

Wikipedia has a rather good article on Mooncakes (with photos) - and a quick Google search turned up a bunch of Mooncake Recipes.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:03 AM   #6
Executive Chef

As Lulu said, mooncakes are sweet, rich, heavy and dense pastries sometimes filled with salted duck egg yolk. They come with assorted fillings such as the traditional lotus seed paste, red bean, black bean, and green bean paste and in recent years, yam and durian paste. Another version is snowskin using fried glutinous rice flour for the skin. They are shaped either round or square and are usually eaten during the Mid-Autumn Festival which this year falls on 25 September. On this day, the moon shines brightest and fullest, the 15th of the eighth moon in the lunar calendar.

In celebrating this festival, families gather under the silvery moonbeams to enjoy mooncakes washed down with fragrant Chinese tea while kids and the young-at-heart enjoy walks with lanterns all aglow. Legend has it that mooncakes helped bring about a revolution during the Yuan Dynasty (AD 1280-1368) which was established by invading Mongols from the north. Secret messages detailing that the rebellion was to take place on the 15th night of the eighth moon were placed inside mooncakes instigating people to revolt against the Mongols. After the rebellion, the Ming Dynasty was born.

Every year I make it a point to bake such goodies for DH's family, relatives and friends. Needless to say, it takes a lot of work and skill to master the art. Mooncakes are usually sold in Chinese restaurants and hotels and fetch a high price during the festival.

To share with fellow DC members, below is a picture of mooncakes I made last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA060115.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	2495  
Old 02-19-2007, 07:07 AM   #7
Head Chef

Wow Boufa, they are beautiful!
Old 02-19-2007, 07:09 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Thanks Lulu! Wish I could share them with you!!
Old 02-20-2007, 05:42 AM   #9
Head Chef

Boufa, I've never heard of anyone who made mooncakes. No one makes mooncakes! Mooncakes are bought. And they always come in a box. Mooncakes don't come from the kitchen!

Amazing. My hat's off to you! Your mooncakes look delicious too! You must have a special mold for these, don't you? I'm speechless. Is it simple or complicated to do?

Btw, I gagged the first time I sampled a piece of mooncake here in Bangkok. It was durian flavor! They also have pandan flavor which is quite good.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:25 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Chopstix, I appreciate your kind comments! Mooncakes do begin life in someone's kitchen before they are put in a box. It could even be your kitchen with a bit of training and perseverance. I do use special moulds but a good recipe for both crusts as well as fillings is also necessary. They are not too complicated to make but I wouldn't call it simple either. I am sure if you set your heart out to do them, you will succeed eventually.

Anyway, "Gong Xi Fa Cai" to you!

Tags
None