"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 03-04-2007, 08:32 AM   #11
Master Chef

The fried wontons you just snack on are usually unfilled. You can get them filled with meat or with cream cheese & crab (crab rangoon on the menu), which cracks me up because it is so American (most Asians do not eat dairy products!). Oh, boo hoo. Our only Chinese restaurant closed this year. One thing about won tons is that they are super easy to make. You can also steam them or boil 2 or 3 per person in broth and serve as soup (garnish with whatever fresh herb you have on hand. Oh, fresh herbs aren't happening for another couple of months. Oh well). I buy the wrappers and fill with a sort of generic stuffing of ground turkey, finely chopped mushrooms, onion and garlic. Some get deep fried, some get fried potsticker style, some go into the freezer. Because I don't use a particularly Asian flavor I can also use them as pierogi/ravioli. Different treatments yeild completely different results depending on how I treat them when I cook them or what dipping sauces I serve with them. The pastry (usually labelled as "won ton wrappers") can be found in the refridgerated portion of the fresh produce section of your grocery store.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:06 AM   #12
Sous Chef

You can get them--or an approximation of them--in the supermarket. They are in cellophane as chow mein noodles. They aren't the skinny ones, but are a little wider.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:07 AM   #13
Master Chef

Interesting note; most people throughout the world hae problems digesting dairy products. Teh people who tolerate them best have a family line coming from Northern Europe. It seems that due to the cold weather, which of course means limited availability of sun exposure, got nutrients that the body manufactures using sunlight from drinking or eating dairy porducts. This is especially true of liquid dairy products such as milk and cream. I'm very glad that I have German, and some French in me, along with the native American as I truly love milk and other dairy products.

But back on topic, won ton wrappers can be fried and dipped like a chip in various sauces such as duck sauce, oyster sauce, plumb sauce, sweet & sour sauce, etc. They are also good dipped in shrimp cocktail sauce. I sometimes will mix together powdered mustard and ordinary ketchup to make a dipping sauce.

Or, if you prefer, you can make a number of cream-cheese, or sour cream based dips to serve with them. They are a great garnish, and are easy to make at home. But truthfully, I prefer to stuff my wontons with meat and veggies, then fried until golden and served with pineapple sweet & sour sauce. I also love to make won ton soup by boiling the filled wontons in a light chicken broth with some fresh green onion or chives. Yum.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None