What do yams taste like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anau

Senior Cook
I'm talking about the true yam, not sweet potato. I figured since they're kind of unknown/unavailable to most Western cooks, someone over here might be able to tell me. Does anyone have a good recipe using yams? I want to try them out.

jkath you are truely lucky to have access to real yams. I have never seen one other than in pictures. Everything here that is labled as "yams" are really just sweet potatoes. I am a bit jealous :chef:

where do you get yams, jkath? I have rarely seen them sold.
They are starchier and lighter in color.

Here is a picture I was able to find. For some reason I pictured them even larger than this, but still they are quite big.

The one time I saw them they were normal sized. Maybe they were not even yams.

After doing a little research I found an interesting site. Here is a quote I took from it.
There are many varieties of yams, and many varieties of sweet potatoes, and certain types of yams may be quite similar to certain types of sweet potatoes. Some of the yams commonly cultivated in Africa are usually very large, sometimes measuring several feet in length and over a hundred pounds in weight.

The site is The Congo Cookbook. Scroll down to the section titled Yams vs. Sweet Potatoes for more info.

Haggis said:
They taste yammy...err I mean yummy.

That's A-material right there.

:LOL: Hehehe...

I concur. They are quite yummy and delicious. The regular variety is nice, but there is also a japanese yam called "yamaimo" which is amazing peeled and grated for salads or fried. Most asian markets should carry it and it's definitely worth hunting down at least once to try.

I find mine at this Asian grocery store (look for Hong Kong Market, if you're in Houston) and I've seen them at a Hispanic grocery store (Fiesta, in Texas only I think). I've planted one that I bought and it grew to about 4 inches wide and a foot long in just one season but I gave to my grandmother because I didn't know what to do with it, so know I'll have to try them out.

I had them in St. Lucia, & enjoyed them immensely. Although it was funny to dig into what looked like a pile of white mashed potatoes & find them sweet!!

Here's something from my grocery store's online info.

184580027_100x100.jpg
Beauregard Yams - Bulk $1.29/LB

184580004_100x100.jpg
Garnet Yams - Bulk $.099/LB
spacer.gif

Jkath those are actually sweet potatoes. American supermarkets often call them yams even though they are not yams at all.

GB said:
Here is a picture I was able to find. For some reason I pictured them even larger than this, but still they are quite big.

That looks like what I ate once. My friend from africa just choped them and boiled them. They didn't seem to have much of a taste at all from what I can remember. They needed some spice and butter or somthing to give them flavor. The yams pictured above don't really taste anything like sweet potatoes or what Americans call yams.

Last edited:
Ripliancum from what I have been reading today it sounds like real African yams are almost always served with some sort of sauce or something to give them flavor as they tend to be very bland.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom