What Do You Do With Your SPAM®?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's interesting.

Ross

I've also seen Spam Katsu Curry, oohhhh! :ohmy:
And silly me, I was just at the market and stood
there looking at the packets of Japanese Curry,
what's the brand name? I forget, but, MAN!
As soon as I said that out loud a minute ago,
DH went, OOOOOHHHH, that sounds really good, do we have that?
:LOL:

Ya know, I'm gonna crack a can tonight and make
something I saw a long time ago but still haven't
tried, Spam Katsu!
I'll report back later ...

IMG_6538.jpg

Holy Moly Batman!
THAT was outstanding! I mean it!
DH did NOT like it at all, fine, more for me.
I made 4 Spam Katsu to try, and I ate only one.
So I'll have leftovers in the morning with steamed Rice :yum:

My local Smith's/Kroger's is still experiencing some shortages.....including Spam. I'm shopping once a week and must be missing when it is stocked. The cupboard is bare in the Spam section.

We have had this several times. It is very good. We also have SPAM different ways at least once a week.

The cookbook is "Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook" by Ray Lampe - pub. 2005

Spam au Poivre

Coarsely ground black pepper
1 can of Spam Original, cut in four slices
Big Squeeze Yellow Mustard Barbecue Sauce, to taste (recipe follows)

Prepare the grill for direct cooking at very high heat

Apply a heavy coat of black pepper to both sides of the Spam slices. Press it down so that it stays on. Grill the slices over the hot fire for just a few minutes on each side. When the slices are golden brown and crusty looking they are done. Serve with the mustard sauce.

Big Squeeze Yellow Mustard Barbecue Sauce

3/4 cup yellow "ballpark" mustard
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 TB butter or margarine
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp. Louisiana style hot sauce, or more to taste

Combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan, stirring to blend, and simmer over low heat for thirty minutes. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before using. Yield: 1 3/4 cups.

My local Smith's/Kroger's is still experiencing some shortages.....including Spam. I'm shopping once a week and must be missing when it is stocked. The cupboard is bare in the Spam section.

beth, does your market have curb side pickup?
I found that at some places where I can't seem to get an
item when I shop in store, I'll opt for pick up.
Not like Spam® is a necessity :LOL: just a guilty pleasure ;)

We have had this several times. It is very good. We also have SPAM different ways at least once a week.

The cookbook is "Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook" by Ray Lampe - pub. 2005

Spam au Poivre

Coarsely ground black pepper
1 can of Spam Original, cut in four slices
Big Squeeze Yellow Mustard Barbecue Sauce, to taste (recipe follows)

Prepare the grill for direct cooking at very high heat

Apply a heavy coat of black pepper to both sides of the Spam slices. Press it down so that it stays on. Grill the slices over the hot fire for just a few minutes on each side. When the slices are golden brown and crusty looking they are done. Serve with the mustard sauce.

Big Squeeze Yellow Mustard Barbecue Sauce

3/4 cup yellow "ballpark" mustard
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 TB butter or margarine
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp. Louisiana style hot sauce, or more to taste

Combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan, stirring to blend, and simmer over low heat for thirty minutes. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before using. Yield: 1 3/4 cups.

Hmmm, sounds interesting

View attachment 43838

Holy Moly Batman!
THAT was outstanding! I mean it!
DH did NOT like it at all, fine, more for me.
I made 4 Spam Katsu to try, and I ate only one.
So I'll have leftovers in the morning with steamed Rice :yum:

***Note to self: be sure to eat ALL of the Spam Katsu
the same night that it's been made!
Leftovers are VERY rubbery!
That crisp-ity, crunch-ity exterior was not so great, but still tasty :LOL:

I've only ever fixed it 2 ways...

1) Fry up a couple slices with eggs and toast.

2) Fry up a couple slices and put it on a sandwich.

I don't eat Spam very often, but I do have a can of turkey Spam in my cupboard. It's been there for a while. I buy the turkey Spam because it's less fat than the regular.

I wouldn't mind trying the Spam Musubi, if there was a way to fix it without the nori. I can't stand that stuff.

I've only ever fixed it 2 ways...

1) Fry up a couple slices with eggs and toast.

2) Fry up a couple slices and put it on a sandwich.

I don't eat Spam very often, but I do have a can of turkey Spam in my cupboard. It's been there for a while. I buy the turkey Spam because it's less fat than the regular.

I wouldn't mind trying the Spam Musubi, if there was a way to fix it without the nori. I can't stand that stuff.

Linda, this is not exactly Musubi, but you might enjoy Spam® prepared this way ... https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthede...with-portuguese-sausage-seasoning-fried-rice/

If you love Portuguese Sausage Ross, try this recipe ...

https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthede...2/01/paniolo-thats-hawaiian-for-cowboy-chili/

... I'm making it tomorrow using ground Beef to serve over Baked Idahos Spuds instead of steamed White Rice, only `cuz I need to use up those taters before they sprout! :LOL:

I do believe that I did your recipe and commented but, the comment didn't go through.
I, most always, use linguisa in chili and in spaghetti sauce, etc., etc. :)
Have been doing so since the 60's. Jeannie is Portuguese so, lots of encouragement there.

A happy day when I found that my favorite California linguisa (Silva's) is available frozen, here in MO. Fresh is best but, I don't whine. ;)

Ross

Ross

I do believe that I did your recipe and commented but, the comment didn't go through.
I, most always, use linguisa in chili and in spaghetti sauce, etc., etc. :)
Have been doing so since the 60's. Jeannie is Portuguese so, lots of encouragement there.

A happy day when I found that my favorite California linguisa (Silva's) is available frozen, here in MO. Fresh is best but, I don't whine. ;)

Ross

Ross

We were fortunate enough to have been back home on Oahu when Hormel first introduced this flavor of Spam® and I could not buy it, it was sold out every day!
So I brought this can back in my suitcase last year and finally got around to using it.
I will say that it kinda-sorta tastes like Linguica, but for me, I'm going to stick with the 25% less sodium flavor.

Here's a clip from the morning news in Honolulu back in May of 2015...
folks went wild! I believe that Hormel sells this flavor only in Hawaii and online, I think, I too have not seen Portuguese Sausage Spam anywhere else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrAZBCWbvvE

Oh and btw, I'm Portuguese-Hawaiian-Swedish ;)

Linda, this is not exactly Musubi, but you might enjoy Spam® prepared this way ... https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthede...with-portuguese-sausage-seasoning-fried-rice/

Wow, have never seen that variety of Spam before. Very interesting ;)

One of my favorite Bizarre Foods episodes was when he (Andrew Zimmern) was in Hawaii. Andrew tried several Spam dishes, including Musubi. He's not a fan of Spam and had difficulty stomaching most of it, but it was a fun episode to watch.

beth, does your market have curb side pickup?
I found that at some places where I can't seem to get an
item when I shop in store, I'll opt for pick up.
Not like Spam® is a necessity :LOL: just a guilty pleasure ;)

Yes it does. I pick up regularly for my next door neighbor. They collect the order off the shelves, so if it is not on the shelves, you do not get it.

Back
Top Bottom