What flour(s) to use to make a very crispy chicken?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfol

Assistant Cook
What flour(s) to use to make a very crispy chicken (more like Korean's fried chicken, not western style chicken)?
maybe some ethnic flours? can anyone recommend?

Korean fried chicken is fried twice, which is why it's so crispy.

It's usually coated in a mixture of regular white flour and corn starch. Corn starch is used a lot in asian cooking to get a crispy texture.

That's what I was going to suggest, too. Also, use AP, not bread flour.

This.

Lotta folks seem to think the Japanese Panko bread crumbs are the secret.

They're pretty much as wrong as wrong could be, particularly since traditional Japanese deep frying is done with tempura batter, not bread crumbs, and Panko is a relatively recent Japanese adaptation of the classic french bread crumb coating...

But yeah, double-dip in the oil is the secret.

You want the best Buffalo wings ever? Deep fry them before they ever see a spice, pull them straight out of the fryer and into a mixture of good hot sauce and melted butter, then bake them off in the oven for 10 minutes. You'll get all the great heat, very little of the grease, and plenty of crispy wing.

Same principle in action. ;)

It's usually coated in a mixture of regular white flour and corn starch. Corn starch is used a lot in asian cooking to get a crispy texture.

This is what I do as well and it comes out perfect.

anyone have a good korean fried chicken reicpe, the deep fryer is already out might as well get some good use out of it.

There is no (or little) "wrong" if it works. This is all subjective. We are ALL communicating what works for us and the people who eat our food. Let's see...who was it the soup nazi on?

Sometimes I'll use panko, when I want a more breaded (crumb) texture. But then there are times when panko isn't really appropriate and just regular AP flour does the trick.

yay! Cornstarch was my suggestion too! I use some cornstarch and flour when deep frying tofu! never thought about adding some to chicken though!

Back
Top Bottom