"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 01-25-2010, 01:41 PM   #41
Executive Chef

I once had a piece of beef from a pet bull that had the name, "George". It was the fact that it had a name that grossed out some of the more squeamish! It's interesting to see people's reactions when their food comes from a creature they've had a personal experience with.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:06 PM   #42
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
I once had a piece of beef from a pet bull that had the name, "George". It was the fact that it had a name that grossed out some of the more squeamish! It's interesting to see people's reactions when their food comes from a creature they've had a personal experience with.
This reminds me of a part in Douglas Adam's book The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe. The travels end up at this restaurant and a talking cow comes to their table, introduces himself, and proceeds to recommend different parts of his body and steer the diners away from other parts of his body. Before the cow came out on of the diners asked if they were ready to meet the meat. Cracks me up every time.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:40 PM   #43
Mr. Greenjeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzakiel View Post
I think the ones that top my list are
  1. Raw horse meat
  2. Jellyfish
  3. Durian
  4. Foie gras (not so bizarre)
  5. Blood sausage (not bizarre either)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican mama View Post
How did u find durian?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
mexican mama, there is a Viet Nam restaurant near me that sells a durian shake. I have yet to try it, but will next time I am there. I have never seen fresh durian though.
I have access to a few asian groceries and have found whole durian in nets in the refrigerated/freezer section. Did you know there is a law that you cannot bring durian into a public building in Japan?
Old 01-25-2010, 03:46 PM   #44
Chief Eating Officer

I think that law in in place in many other Asian countries as well.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:52 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Horse meat chorizo-absolutely the best ever! (Costa Rica)
Duck innards stew (like pork blood stew) so good...addictively good

love all those Brit and Euro things like black and white pudding, blood sausage etc (scrapple!!! yeh!!!)

Love sweatbreads kidneys liver cheeks tongue etc. I have goat's nuts in my freezer right now.

Have not cared for insects except those that are underwater (crab lobster shrimp etc.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:37 AM   #46
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Every year my Uncle would tell Mom to "Come on out and pick your cow and pig" then he would insist she name them. The picking out happened when they were still babies, of course. Mom refused, she told my uncle to call her when her pig and cow were wrapped up nicely in white paper and she could pick it up from the butcher. And I never ate any animal that I raised for 4-H, but I did eat some of my friend's pig once when her parents bought it at auction at the end of the year.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:58 AM   #47
Head Chef

Quote:
When I was growing up my family raised chickens, mainly for the eggs. Once in a while we would butcher some though (the less prolific egg layers) and eat them. Even though I fed them and cleaned out the coop, I never had a problem eating them. Probably because I hated them. Something about scooping droppings into a wheelbarrow in sub-zero temperatures, plus the fact that they often pecked my legs didn't strengthen the bonds between boy and fowl. BTW, my job in the chicken butchering process was to pluck the feathers after my dad chopped the head off and dunked them in a scalding pot of water. My mom got to remove the entrails. Lucky her! I couldn't even be in the house when she did that. Ok, who's ready for lunch?
Old 01-27-2010, 03:52 AM   #48
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican mama View Post
what kind of cuisine is that??
Assamese cuisine, my DH is Assamese.
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:47 PM   #49
Assistant Cook

Some sort of a green pickled egg on a China Air flight back from Beijing. I felt like those kids in "Gods must be crazy" who couldn't figure what to do with butter. It was the foulest thing I ever had in my life.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:18 AM   #50
Flour Child

I think cow's milk is bizarre. We are the only living beings on the planet that drink someone else's milk. Reminds me of a question Bill Waterson once asked, "Who was the first guy who looked at a cow and said, I think I'll drink whatever comes out of these things when I squeeze 'em?"

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bizarre food