What is the most bizarre food you ever had???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
alligator tail

There's a restaurant near me that serves fried alligator tail all of the time and is a very popular appetizer. It's great, especially with a pineapple-peach marmalade dipping sauce! And another place that serves it on Fri., Sat & Sun. as an entree.

I think it's becoming more wide spread than we suppose. :chef:
my friends love gator tails...i have to try it one of these says

This is going to sound really weird, but McDonald's chicken nuggets. We don't eat fast food. Several years ago I was at my niece's house when she brought in these nuggets for her kids. The littlest girl just insisted I eat one of her chicken nuggets. I did so and thought that it was probably the most surreal and plastic thing I'd ever put in my mouth. It didn't even taste or feel like food. My mouth was coated with grease from just the one nugget and I was sick that night. That was just bizarre.

From a "different" bizarre perspective... probably Kokorech... lamb intestines wrapped on a skewer, seasoned and grilled. It's a street food in Turkey, where dh is from.

In the Philippines and other Asian countries they barbecue pig and chicken innards:kidney,heat,liver,intestines..i had ISAW (ee-saaaawww) from the philippines...it was tasty...but u have to make sure that its clean.:chef:

I was offered and ate some homemade jerky that came from South Africa. The person offering didn't know what animal it came from, but it was tasty. For an item that I knew about later, sweetbreads and brains...not crazy about it.

This is going to sound really weird, but McDonald's chicken nuggets. ...

I don't know if we really can call McDonalds food bizare. BUt if you ask me what was The Most discusting Meal I ever had that would definitely be McDonalds. I ate there twice in my life, oh my gosh., the food in soviet army was by far better. ANd I tell you it was really bad in it's own right.

I was offered and ate some homemade jerky that came from South Africa. The person offering didn't know what animal it came from, but it was tasty.

You're talking about "biltong" (pronounced just how you read it). Its a dried, cured meat. Usually its just beef since beef is easy to come by, but often made from game (Kudu, sprinkbok - kinds of antelope). Ostrich biltong is lovely too. Less fatty than other red meats! Less dry than jerky I think. Often its eaten still moist and pink inside.

Biltong is delicious and one of the things I miss most about South African snack food!

Another unique, but rarely eaten South African thing are Mopane Worms.

I ate a worm taco from a street vendor in Mexico City. Eh not something I will order if anything else is available. The "worms" are the same worms found in bottles of mescal.

Menudo is delicious. Don't dis menudo.

worm taco

I ate a worm taco from a street vendor in Mexico City. Eh not something I will order if anything else is available. The "worms" are the same worms found in bottles of mescal.

Menudo is delicious. Don't dis menudo.

I haven't had this yet and im dying to try..i too love menudo..i guess in life to each hi/her own:) happy eating:chef:

Lord of the Flies

A Caribbean goat head. Shared with a gang of friends, it was very "Lord of the Flies."

Nice reference on the Lord of the Flies...:LOL:
I now remember that Asian also eat the brain of an animal, my brother loves pigs brain sauteed with garlic..me im not so fun of it..plus it has a high cholesterol:ROFLMAO:

You're talking about "biltong" (pronounced just how you read it). Its a dried, cured meat. Usually its just beef since beef is easy to come by, but often made from game (Kudu, sprinkbok - kinds of antelope). Ostrich biltong is lovely too. Less fatty than other red meats! Less dry than jerky I think. Often its eaten still moist and pink inside.

Biltong is delicious and one of the things I miss most about South African snack food!

Another unique, but rarely eaten South African thing are Mopane Worms.

I do remember now she said it was springbok. Quite tasty, I love jerky!

Nothing too bizzare considering the items already mentioned, but I grew up in the PNW eating venison.

Buffalo
Deer
Elk
Moose
Antelope
Rabbit
Gator
Tacos in Tijuana, not sure what was in them

I think the ones that top my list are

1. Raw horse meat
  2. Jellyfish
  3. Durian
  4. Foie gras (not so bizarre)
  5. Blood sausage (not bizarre either)

mexican mama, there is a Viet Nam restaurant near me that sells a durian shake. I have yet to try it, but will next time I am there. I have never seen fresh durian though.

...venison.

Buffalo
Deer
Elk
Moose
Antelope
Rabbit
Bizare? Those are some of my favorits meats ever.

Oh, yeah just remember I had a dog once. Or I should say the dog. I had Korean friends who kept this large mut(sp?) very friendly, veru cute, very lovely dog, one day I came over for a diner, it was really hard to hold what I ate in, after I found out who we were eating.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom