What is the most bizarre food you ever had???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I once had a piece of beef from a pet bull that had the name, "George". It was the fact that it had a name that grossed out some of the more squeamish! :ROFLMAO: It's interesting to see people's reactions when their food comes from a creature they've had a personal experience with.

I once had a piece of beef from a pet bull that had the name, "George". It was the fact that it had a name that grossed out some of the more squeamish! :ROFLMAO: It's interesting to see people's reactions when their food comes from a creature they've had a personal experience with.
This reminds me of a part in Douglas Adam's book The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe. The travels end up at this restaurant and a talking cow comes to their table, introduces himself, and proceeds to recommend different parts of his body and steer the diners away from other parts of his body. Before the cow came out on of the diners asked if they were ready to meet the meat. Cracks me up every time.

I think the ones that top my list are

1. Raw horse meat
  2. Jellyfish
  3. Durian
  4. Foie gras (not so bizarre)
  5. Blood sausage (not bizarre either)

How did u find durian?;)

mexican mama, there is a Viet Nam restaurant near me that sells a durian shake. I have yet to try it, but will next time I am there. I have never seen fresh durian though.

I have access to a few asian groceries and have found whole durian in nets in the refrigerated/freezer section. Did you know there is a law that you cannot bring durian into a public building in Japan?

Horse meat chorizo-absolutely the best ever! (Costa Rica)
Duck innards stew (like pork blood stew) so good...addictively good

love all those Brit and Euro things like black and white pudding, blood sausage etc (scrapple!!! yeh!!!)

Love sweatbreads kidneys liver cheeks tongue etc. I have goat's nuts in my freezer right now.

Have not cared for insects except those that are underwater (crab lobster shrimp etc.

Every year my Uncle would tell Mom to "Come on out and pick your cow and pig" then he would insist she name them. The picking out happened when they were still babies, of course. Mom refused, she told my uncle to call her when her pig and cow were wrapped up nicely in white paper and she could pick it up from the butcher. And I never ate any animal that I raised for 4-H, but I did eat some of my friend's pig once when her parents bought it at auction at the end of the year.

When I was growing up my family raised chickens, mainly for the eggs. Once in a while we would butcher some though (the less prolific egg layers) and eat them. Even though I fed them and cleaned out the coop, I never had a problem eating them. Probably because I hated them. Something about scooping droppings into a wheelbarrow in sub-zero temperatures, plus the fact that they often pecked my legs didn't strengthen the bonds between boy and fowl. BTW, my job in the chicken butchering process was to pluck the feathers after my dad chopped the head off and dunked them in a scalding pot of water. My mom got to remove the entrails. Lucky her! I couldn't even be in the house when she did that. Ok, who's ready for lunch?:LOL:

Some sort of a green pickled egg on a China Air flight back from Beijing. I felt like those kids in "Gods must be crazy" who couldn't figure what to do with butter. It was the foulest thing I ever had in my life.

I think cow's milk is bizarre. We are the only living beings on the planet that drink someone else's milk. Reminds me of a question Bill Waterson once asked, "Who was the first guy who looked at a cow and said, I think I'll drink whatever comes out of these things when I squeeze 'em?"
:LOL:

I think cow's milk is bizarre. We are the only living beings on the planet that drink someone else's milk. Reminds me of a question Bill Waterson once asked, "Who was the first guy who looked at a cow and said, I think I'll drink whatever comes out of these things when I squeeze 'em?"
:LOL:

We aren't the only ones. Cats and dogs love cows milk. I've also heard of dogs nurse'n kittens before, never happened here.

Bizarre for me would probably be sushi or some fast food. Sushi, I really like it but it is still bizarre for us and where we live.

Fast food, had the McRib once. :)

Humans are the only species to continue to drink milk after being weaned and are the only species that choose to drink that milk from another species. Cats and dogs only drink cow's milk when humans give it to them (always gives them diarrhea, btw). Cats and dogs in the wild don't drink milk. Humans also sometimes choose not to breastfeed their infants. Mother cat's don't put their kittens on supplemental milk (formula). If a baby animal looses it's mother it will suck on another animal for survival...and when weaned that will stop.
...just sayin' :)

Humans are the only species to continue to drink milk after being weaned and are the only species that drink milk from another species. Cats and dogs only drink cow's milk when humans give it to them (always gives them diarrhea, btw). Cats and dogs in the wild don't drink milk. Humans also sometimes choose not to breastfeed their infants. Mother cat's don't put their kittens on supplemental milk. If a baby animal looses it's mother it will suck on another animal for survival...and when weaned that will stop.

I love to debate, notice that?:LOL: Cats and dogs hang around the milk barn, we never had to give it to them...we had to keep them away! BUT you are right, we are the only ones to continue to drink milk. We also are the only ones to cook our food. No wonder aliens don't like to stay here long.;):LOL: We are a different "species" in so many ways, but that is another subject for another time.

See ya, Molly :)
AL

Here's mine:
1. Dog
2. Snake
3. Durian
4. Balut
5. Bugs from Thailand (Grasshopper, Worms)

i couldn't think of much that i considered bizarre. maybe monkfish liver sashimi? carp eyeballs? nothing that crazy.

i'm waiting for someone to post ortolan, or cuy. now those are a bit weird.

oh, fyi: never dress like a goat near robo. :mellow:

The most bizarre and repulsive food to date was ahl chige or korean fish egg stew with big pollack roe eggs. They were all big with veins, plump and eww groooossss!

Sure, and why not finish it off with a nice warm cup of the most expensive coffee in the world...Kopi Luwak* (made from digested beans in cat feces). It was actually mentioned in the movie, "Bucket List" by Morgan Freeman to Jack Nicholson who was boasting about his "extra delicious prized coffee"...funny movie!

Oh, is everyone enjoying their breakfast this morning? :mrgreen:

*No, I've never had this...no way!

Humans are the only species to continue to drink milk after being weaned and are the only species that choose to drink that milk from another species. Cats and dogs only drink cow's milk when humans give it to them (always gives them diarrhea, btw). Cats and dogs in the wild don't drink milk. Humans also sometimes choose not to breastfeed their infants. Mother cat's don't put their kittens on supplemental milk (formula). If a baby animal looses it's mother it will suck on another animal for survival...and when weaned that will stop.

Cobras seek milk.

YEE Gads you guys and here I thought Biroldi was gross when first served it.
kades:wacko:

Back
Top Bottom