What is your favorite Chinese dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Classic Xi-Hong-Shi Chao Ji Dan, anybody know what that is? =)

Anyway after staying for years in China this is my favorite dish (I eat it often when I was there)

Derg

There was a time when I was a student would walk across the Brooklyn Bridge to Chinatown and eat there regularly. There were times I ate seven dinners a week there and knew some chefs.

The Chinese food I find today is less interesting than some of the things those chefs would serve (we usually left the choice of food up to the waiter or chef).

But my favorite, bar none, is peanut butter (sesame) noodles, cold (actually room temp).

Very easy to make, even if you are not near an Asian market for the ingredients.

Can just Google for recipes.

As I am lazy, ususally buy it from our local Chinese takeout guy who makes an acceptable, but not inspired version.

Give it a try.

I too have many favorites...General Tso's chicken, boneless spare ribs, beef and broccoli, Pu Pu platter, lo mein, orange chicken and beef...my stomache is grumbling now!!:chef:

Scallops in garlic sauce with roast pork chow ho fun a close second. I remember having General Tso's Salmon once but that place is long gone and I've never seen it anywhere else.:(

It is hard to just name one, since I like so many Asian dishes:

Pork chow mein
Kung pao chicken or beef
Orange chicken
General Tso's chicken
Bulgogi (Korean)
Tempura vegetables
Szchewan triple delight (veggies, shrimp, beef, and chicken in a spicy sauce)
Mu shu pork
Spicy ground chicken with eggplant
Cashew chicken
Egg drop soup
Hot and sour soup

etc, etc. I could just go on and on. Asian dishes are my favorite. :) If I have an option when asked what kind of restaurant I want to go to the answer is typically Chinese, Korean, or sometimes Thai.

I'm a sucker for orange beef... not sure if it is a true Chinese dish, but I do love it tho!!! Shrimp fried rice comes second.

Shrimp fried rice, egg rolls, wonton soup w/chicken, and crab ragoon. :chef: Authentic or not, I love these items!

SierraCook said:
It is hard to just name one, since I like so many Asian dishes:

Pork chow mein
Kung pao chicken or beef
Orange chicken
General Tso's chicken
Bulgogi (Korean)
Tempura vegetables
Szchewan triple delight (veggies, shrimp, beef, and chicken in a spicy sauce)
Mu shu pork
Spicy ground chicken with eggplant
Cashew chicken
Egg drop soup
Hot and sour soup

etc, etc. I could just go on and on. Asian dishes are my favorite. :) If I have an option when asked what kind of restaurant I want to go to the answer is typically Chinese, Korean, or sometimes Thai.

sc, i was thinking of you the last time i had kung pao.

we are gonna have to get together for chinese one day.

buckytom said:
sc, i was thinking of you the last time i had kung pao.

we are gonna have to get together for chinese one day.

Since I know that you like Bulgogi, when I go to my favorite Korean restaurant it makes me think that you would love to eat there. Once I had lunch in Chinatown in San Francisco. It was interesting to eat in a restuarant that had ducks hanging in the window!! Have you ever had Peking duck? If I ever make my way back to the East coast, we have a date. Just make sure that you bring bucky jr. He is so cute.

One chinese dish? Its just not possible. I think I eat Chinese food like BuckyTom does. I try and try something new each time we go to a good Chinese place, but there are somethings we just HAVE to order. Thats why big groups get the best, small spoons of loads of different things. For take out our regular restaurants know our order though and yes, regretably it is just the two of us, and i know a lot of it is rubbish but:

Peking Duck
Kung Pao chicken or prawns
Crispy shredded beef
Sweet and sour chick or praws (we get the battered ones because the cats like them too, lol)
greens and oyster sauce
mixed vegatables
then either a vegetable chow main, a special how mein or a sticky rice in a leaf bundle.

If DH make the phone call there will always be spring rolls and sesame prawn toasts. I can take or leave spring rolls, but love prawn toast, but prefer it fresh at a dim sum place so I'm happy to go with out. We also pick something new or revisited each time. My favourite Mondon take out actually does exceelent Chinese, japonese and thai. When we order from them I always get some Buddist Broth because its unbelievably delicious. DH ends up having seriously mixed meals: but the above dishes are always there too!

I love cold chinese for breakfast, just as well, with the size of our orders! Dim sum would be my absolute favorite though. OMG, I need chinese food today!

General Tso's
Happy Family
Four Seasons
Sesame Chicken
Egg Rolls with Sweet Sour Sauce
Egg Drop Soup

I've ventured out and tried several different things but didn't care for them .... unfort. I can't remember the names of them. So one of the above main dishes is usually what I'll order when out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz
Poo Poo Plater :sick:

urmaniac13 said:
I always wondered what this dish could be... doesn't sound exactly appetizing...:ermm:
Licia, a Poo Poo Platter is an assortment of appetizers...usually crab rangoon, BBQ'd ribs, chicken wings, egg rolls, fried wontons, etc. Tastes a lot better than it sounds. :LOL:

Photo of Poo Poo Platter:
StockFood - The Food Image Agency

Last edited:
Ok, reading this is making me hungry!! I'm going to eat Chinese for lunch today. As for my favorites:

Sesame Chicken
Orange Chicken
Egg Rolls
Chicken Fried Rice
Broccoli Beef
Sweet and Sour Chicken

And other dishes I'm not sure of the names. I'll try anything once, and I tried the frog's legs at the local restaurant just so I can say I've had them. Not bad, but I wouldn't eat them all the time. I'm HUNGRY now!!

I live 2 blocks from Buffet Palace, an all-u-can-eat Asian food restuarant, and now I'm hankering for Chinese ... oh well. Mabe I'll make some Egg Drop Soup for lunch.

I used to work at a Chinese restaurant in my home town, and my favorites from there were: Rainbow Rice and Pungent Shrimp (spicy).

I also like Mongolian Shrimp, Potstickers, Crab Rangoons, and most tempura-fried veggies (fave there being sweet potatoes). Growing up Chinese food was my favorite eat-out.

It always cracks me up when I'm asked my favorite anything (food, book, movie, recipe, etc) because I simply cannot choose. I guess anything hot-spicy and beef. Oh, dear. Lobster or crab in black beans .... or maybe .....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom