What is your favorite curried dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Juliev

Washing Up
I could have put this under the "Miscellaneous" category, but thought I'd throw it here. I love curry.. and so many different dishes using it. What are some of your recipes that use curry?

Curried chicken and rice:

3 tbsp butter
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup diced green pepper
1/4 cup thinly sliced carrot
3/4 tsp curry powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup reg white rice
1 can (8 oz) tomatoes
1 can (13 3/4 oz) chicken broth
1 1/4 to 1/2 cup diced chicken or turkey
1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped dry roasted peanuts

In large skillet, in hot butter saute onion, green pepper and carrot for 5 minutes. Add curry powder and salt and stir 1 minute. Add rice, tomatoes and chicken broth and boil about 15 minutes. Stir in chicken and peanuts, heat through. Makes 4 servings.

I'm also a big fan, Juliev, but I've botched more dishes with this stuff than I'd care to fully admit. Here's one, courtesy of a colleague, that I find foolproof and downright good:

Curried Shrimp

1 onion and 2 stalks celery (mince together in food processor)
2 T. butter
2 T. flour
1 tsp. curry powder
1 bay leaf
2 C. of chicken broth (may need more…)
2 apples, peeled and chopped (tart ones)
Tabasco
Salt & pepper

2 lbs deveined shrimp
2 T. butter

Steamed Rice

Make a sauce by saute’ing the minced onion and celery in 2 T. butter until the onions are transparent. Add the flour and curry powder and allow the flour to cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the broth, blending well, and bring to boil for full thickness. (If too thick, add more broth here.) Reduce to simmer and stir in apples, a dash or so of Tabasco (I’m generous), and the bay leaf. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes. Strain the sauce and set aside.

Saute’ the shrimp in the butter until cooked.

To serve, place a glob of steamed rice in a bowl, add a generous amount of shrimp, then top with a very generous amount of sauce. I sprinkle chopped parsley on top.

sounds really good Audeo!!

here is another:

Curried ham and rice rolls:

3 hard cooked eggs, chopped
2/3 cup raisins
3 cup cooked rice
3 spring onions, thinly sliced (including tops)
salt & pepper
3 tbsp butter
1 tsp curry powder
2 tbsp cornstarch
3 cup milk
12 oz ham slices (I halve them into long narrow strips)
chopped peanuts or pistachios

Mix eggs, raisins, rice and green onions. Season and set aside. In a 2 quart pan melt butter. Stir in curry powder and cornstarch. Remove from heat and gradually blend in milk. Return to heat and cook, stirring constantly until sauce boils and thickens. Mix 1 1/2 cups of the sauce into the rice mixture. Set remaining sauce aside.

Spoon 2/3 of the rice mixture into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Divide the remaining rice between the ham slices. Roll and place seam side down in baking dish. Top with remaining sauce. Bake covered at 350 degrees (25 minutes, 35 if refrigerated). Sprinkle with nuts.

Take some curry cube things and add them in water and then add some chicken pepper salt then after its done pour on rice with mushrooms.

All of the above sounds great. What kind of chutney do you guys use or do you make yours??? if so, recipes???? I used to buy Col Grey but cannot find it here in Eugene. The curry ham is new to me but sounds good.

green.gif
:roll: GO DUCKS

Indian Pulan with Parsley Chutney:

50-60 minutes to prepare. 4-6 servings.
3 tbsp butter
2/3 cup shredded coconut
2 cup raw brown rice
1 tsp curry
1/2 tsp ground coriander
2 med-sized carrots, diced
1 tsp salt
3 1/4 cup boiling water
1 (2 1/2 inch) piece cinnamon stick
1 minced green pepper
1 minced sweet red pepper
1/2 cup raisins
1 1/2 cup chopped, toasted nuts (for extravagance try pistachios)

Melt the butter in a large, heavy saucepan. Add the coconut, rice, turmeric, coriander, carrots and salt. Stir and cook these all together over medium-low flame for 5-8 minutes.

Add the boiling water and cinnamon stick. Stir, cover and let simmer (low heat) for 15 minutes. Stir in the peppers and the raisins. Cover and let it simmer until the rice is tender (approximately 15 to 20 minutes more). Transfer to a serving bowl; top with nuts. Serve with parsley chutney (below) spooned over top.

Parsley Chutney:

2 packed ccup freshly minced parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger root
4-6 cloves crushed garlic
3 tbsp crushed dried mint
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup firm plain yogurt
Cayenne pepper

Combine everything in a blender or food processor fitted with its steel blade. Puree. Cover tightly and refrigerate.

Back
Top Bottom