"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 10-13-2009, 03:03 PM   #21
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpeikes View Post
ella most likely traditional european style kosher food. I might go with like a kugel or some knishes. Possibly stuffed cabbage.
Dan, how about Tzimmes? Actually, I would probably make Rugulach and a Challah. They taste great and carry well.

and for the person who called Brisket "Pot roast," please to be informed they are NOT the same.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:05 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Jewish food is food that Jews the world over eat. Israeli food is different. I was in Israel a few months ago and as a Jew I can say that "Jewish" food and "Israeli" food are not necessarily one in the same. For instance, I did not see most of the above mentioned foods while I was there. I saw things like falafel and shwarma which would not be considered Jewish, but would be considered stereotypical Israeli food.

I actually disagree. Jews cook food of the places they live in. So Moroccan Jews probably have never heard of blintzes and Russian Jews for that matter never tasted Moroccan fish.

As for the original post, since it is a pot lock I'd recommend to cook the simplest dish and the one you are most familiar with. Basically you want to make something good and in the easiest way possible. I think the dish you are familiar with, the most, and have prepared many times is the one you want to make for people.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:14 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ella/TO View Post
Wyogal.....ROFL......there has to be some cream cheese and thinly sliced purple onion with that!!!!....LOL
Sorry, I wouldn't even touch it if there was onion.

P.S. Though bagels in it's present form is as American as it gets. I've never even heard of bagels like this back in my Russian days.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:22 PM   #24
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I actually disagree. Jews cook food of the places they live in. So Moroccan Jews probably have never heard of blintzes and Russian Jews for that matter never tasted Moroccan fish.
This actually goes along exactly with what I said Charlie. Russian Jews are Ashkenazi while Moroccan Jews are Sephardic. We are saying the same thing my friend.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:29 PM   #25
Master Chef

I understand, but I disagree with you about what you said about Israel. Falafel is as Jewish as it gets, just not for the ashkenazi jews.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:38 PM   #26
Chief Eating Officer

Some might consider falafel Jewish food, but personally I think it is a stretch. Falafel originated in Egypt. It is a Middle Eastern food for sure, but not specific to Israel. Many different cultures other than jews eat Falafel every day. The word Falafel is not even Hebrew, it is Arabic.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:45 PM   #27
Head Chef

I just know that in a cookbook I had, a fundraising cookbook by the women in the local temple, bagels were included in the recipes.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:47 PM   #28
Master Chef

Nether are blintzes or borscht, or bagels, or cabage rolls or latkes for that matter.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:47 PM   #29
Head Chef

Judaism 101: Jewish Cooking
some folks might want to read this before they spout off...
(references to bagels going back to 1600's Poland)

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:50 PM   #30
Chief Eating Officer

If you are referring to being from Israel then yes I will agree with that Charlie, but the differences, to me at least, is that blintzes, borcht, bagels, latkes, etc. were first foods made and eaten by Jews around the world and then adopted by other cultures. Falafel did not necessarily originate with the Jews. Yes Jews eat falafel and it is a staple in Israel, but is it Jewish food just because Jews eat it or does it need to have originated from the culture in order for them to claim it as their own?

Tags
None