What is your favorite "Jewish" dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am grinning as I read all the above......"from this comes such a discussion"?......LOL.....it really was a simple request....but hey, it's been interesting reading all this....

Providing the dietary laws were upheld. You can make meat borscht and add some sour cream into it. Borsch could be consider jewish, but sour cream sure makes it unkosher.
Yes, I accidentally left out the word "generally". I meant to say Jewish foods are generally kosher. They certainly do not have to be though.

Mrs. McCommins’ Jewish Coffee Cake

Mrs. McCommins is Catholic, but her Jewish Coffee Cake is wonderful!

1 package white cake mix
1 package instant vanilla pudding
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs
12 oz sour cream
1 teaspoon Vanilla
----filling----
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 cup nuts; chopped
----glaze----
1 cup powdered sugar
1//4 cup orange juice

Mix cake ingredients in large bowl. Pour 1/2 batter in greased and floured baking pan. Sprinkle 1/2 the filling over batter. Add the rest of the batter. Top with the rest of the filling. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour. Mix together powdered sugar and orange juice. Drizzle over top while cake is still warm

My first serious boyfriend was Jewish, and when we went out to eat, we always went to a Chinese restaurant. When they had family in, and iI met them, guess where we went for dinner... bingo!

I am a weird Jew Ella. I can't stand cream cheese so I often have bagles with lox and nothing else :shock: Although if it is lox spread and it is well mixed then I will eat that.

However the way I would really like it is with whitefish salad, belly lox (the salty kind), Jarlsberg cheese, and then topped with some veggies like lettuce, tomato, red onion, etc.
I love cream cheese but I would skip the lox and vegtables.

Some might consider falafel Jewish food, but personally I think it is a stretch. Falafel originated in Egypt. It is a Middle Eastern food for sure, but not specific to Israel. Many different cultures other than jews eat Falafel every day. The word Falafel is not even Hebrew, it is Arabic.

I was just about to say that GB!thanks!thats so true!

Falafel and Babka

i love Falafel coz its spicy and it has chick peas ...also like Babka bread with chocolate and cinnamon filling

6a00d834515e5769e20120a562edb2970b-500wi

Larry, so funny!!!.....I knew/know folks who have dishes for dairy, dishes for meats, Passover dishes and yes, you guessed it, Chinese dishes....sometimes paper plates.....ROFL

Completely the opposite. All of the foods listed above were common in Russia/Ukraine long before Jews ever arived there.

But Charlie, they've been "Jewish food" for Centuries!

And some of us, who always thought we were Ashenazic, have recently found out our families originally came from Spain! What to make of that?

Larry, so funny!!!.....I knew/know folks who have dishes for dairy, dishes for meats, Passover dishes and yes, you guessed it, Chinese dishes....sometimes paper plates.....ROFL

My mom did the " paper plate " thing, just so she could keep a kosher house. Being a vegetarian, it didnt affect me all that much since practically everything I ate was kosher. But, anytime we ordered chinese, out came the paper plates :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom