What is your favorite "Jewish" dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ella most likely traditional european style kosher food. I might go with like a kugel or some knishes. Possibly stuffed cabbage.

Dan, how about Tzimmes? Actually, I would probably make Rugulach and a Challah. They taste great and carry well.

and for the person who called Brisket "Pot roast," please to be informed they are NOT the same. ;)

Jewish food is food that Jews the world over eat. Israeli food is different. I was in Israel a few months ago and as a Jew I can say that "Jewish" food and "Israeli" food are not necessarily one in the same. For instance, I did not see most of the above mentioned foods while I was there. I saw things like falafel and shwarma which would not be considered Jewish, but would be considered stereotypical Israeli food.

I actually disagree. Jews cook food of the places they live in. So Moroccan Jews probably have never heard of blintzes and Russian Jews for that matter never tasted Moroccan fish.

As for the original post, since it is a pot lock I'd recommend to cook the simplest dish and the one you are most familiar with. Basically you want to make something good and in the easiest way possible. I think the dish you are familiar with, the most, and have prepared many times is the one you want to make for people.

Wyogal.....ROFL......there has to be some cream cheese and thinly sliced purple onion with that!!!!....LOL

Sorry, I wouldn't even touch it if there was onion.

P.S. Though bagels in it's present form is as American as it gets. I've never even heard of bagels like this back in my Russian days.

I actually disagree. Jews cook food of the places they live in. So Moroccan Jews probably have never heard of blintzes and Russian Jews for that matter never tasted Moroccan fish.
This actually goes along exactly with what I said Charlie. Russian Jews are Ashkenazi while Moroccan Jews are Sephardic. We are saying the same thing my friend.

I understand, but I disagree with you about what you said about Israel. Falafel is as Jewish as it gets, just not for the ashkenazi jews.

Some might consider falafel Jewish food, but personally I think it is a stretch. Falafel originated in Egypt. It is a Middle Eastern food for sure, but not specific to Israel. Many different cultures other than jews eat Falafel every day. The word Falafel is not even Hebrew, it is Arabic.

I just know that in a cookbook I had, a fundraising cookbook by the women in the local temple, bagels were included in the recipes.

If you are referring to being from Israel then yes I will agree with that Charlie, but the differences, to me at least, is that blintzes, borcht, bagels, latkes, etc. were first foods made and eaten by Jews around the world and then adopted by other cultures. Falafel did not necessarily originate with the Jews. Yes Jews eat falafel and it is a staple in Israel, but is it Jewish food just because Jews eat it or does it need to have originated from the culture in order for them to claim it as their own?

.... blintzes, borcht, bagels, latkes, etc. were first foods made and eaten by Jews around the world and then adopted by other cultures...

Completely the opposite. All of the foods listed above were common in Russia/Ukraine long before Jews ever arived there.

Local cuisine can be Jewish though Charlie. Yes you just might find bagels in Russia that early, but you would also find Russian Jews that early who were making and eating those bagels.

I really don't get your point, Charlie. Kosher is what defines "Jewish" foods, and there are many different types according to locale. It was a simple question, and not an anthropological question.
sheesh.

right, like rectangles and squares...
i just don't get the whole arguing about a simple request.

Wyogal, We are long way off the original request. And I actually agreed with you, and witht the refernces that you posted. I was disagreen with GB about origin of the foods.

GB I do not have a source per say. But any body will tell you that Borscht is a Ukrainian dish. The bagels, bublichki in Russian, remeber sister Barrys singing "maine bagelach, oy bublichki". Potato pancakes are az common in Ukrainian cusine as humburger in McDonalds. Even the sites/links posted by Wyogal talk about the fact that jews have picked top dishes/recipes from the people/places where they used to live.

Kosher is a whole diferent issue, so don't mix it into this.

... Jewish foods will be kosher, ...

Providing the dietary laws were upheld. You can make meat borscht and add some sour cream into it. Borsch could be consider jewish, but sour cream sure makes it unkosher.

Back
Top Bottom