"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 10-07-2011, 02:42 AM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

+1 tatt.

i love goan seafood, as well as dosa street food and tandoor.

tandoor cooked roti aloo, stuffed with herbs and spuds. or tandoor head-on spiced shrimp.

there's a joint on 10th ave that has delicious chicken necks vindaloo, and veggie korma. and paneer, and so on. I always get a side of red spiced raw onions and butt blasting mini hot peppers. it adds heat as well as texture/ fresh veggie crunch.

man, i need some indian food. lol.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:59 AM   #42
Executive Chef

When the mood takes me I make dosas from scratch but Gits instant dosa mix is quite good

Old 10-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #43
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
I love the more Hindu influenced Food of Goa, but the seafood dishes, Holy smokes, SO GOOD!

I also like more Southern Indian, specifically Dosa. I could eat Dosa daily, and am grateful to have an Indian place that specializes in Mumbai style street foods.

BIG fan of Rogan Josh, anything Vindaloo, anything out of the tandoor is always a treat, Samosa, Saag, Daal, Kheer, Chicken 65. . .good, I could go on and on. . .
My experience with foods that are common in India is so limited. There isn't a single restaurant, (that I'm aware of), in my city that specializes in that type of food.

There are a couple that have a couple of dishes each, but nothing that would compare to a restaurant that serves *only* that type of food.

My Doctor, who is from India, tells me of a restaurant on the other side of Jacksonville that he says is the only really authentic Indian restaurant in this area. He tells me it's the one that all the "Homesick" Indians go to for a night out.

I have yet to go there, as I hate driving, and it's quite some distance from my house and in an area that I'm totally unfamiliar with. The next time my Sister and her husband come down to see me, I'm going to get them to drive me there. My BIL loves to drive.

I envy you folks who live in large cities with so many food cultures represented.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #44
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I envy you folks who live in large cities with so many food cultures represented.
same here. I often find myself pining for L.A. for the same reason, but it's a quick coin-flip to remind myself also why I don't miss living there. There are maybe a dozen total restaurants and one small market within my 40-mile radius (not a one offers Pakistani biryani). The upside is that most of them serve buffet, and everything tastes great. Love simple Indian aloo (potato) dishes. Aloo gobhi, samosas.

I wish I was better at cooking Indian at home. It always seems to flop.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:54 AM   #45
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post

I wish I was better at cooking Indian at home. It always seems to flop.
I've had mixed results. My first effort relied on a single cookbook I found in the library; even when you adjust everything from the metric, there seems to be something lost in the transition from European-style to Indian-style cooking, at least for me.

One relatively simple dish that came out nicely was a carrot pudding. I've found it's far easier to simply make an Indian-style spiced rice pudding. It makes all others just seem bland.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #46
Head Chef

To carry food (Indian or not) these are great. I use them for leftovers in the 'fridge.

Small 4-Tier SS Latch Tiffin Lunch Box, Food Carrier Happy Tiffin
(not associated with that web site!)
Old 10-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #47
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
To carry food (Indian or not) these are great. I use them for leftovers in the 'fridge.

Small 4-Tier SS Latch Tiffin Lunch Box, Food Carrier Happy Tiffin
(not associated with that web site!)
My wife got me one for my birthday, ive yet to try it out, but i loved it when i saw them for the first time on Andrew Zimmern's show.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:38 PM   #48
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
My wife got me one for my birthday, ive yet to try it out, but i loved it when i saw them for the first time on Andrew Zimmern's show.
That's where I saw them also! I believe it was the show where he went to a lady's house and she made homemade yogurt for him.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:05 AM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

and lassie!

woof.

lol, i mean lassi.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:00 AM   #50
Assistant Cook

Chicken vindaloo, the spicier the better! I also love tandoori chicken, and I make butter chicken at home all the time. Also chicken tikka masala and a really good naan bread.

Tags
indian