"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 10-01-2006, 02:06 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Tiny dried fish are used a lot in Filipino cuisine; they're my grandfather's favorite (he dries his own) but I've never actually seen how he eats them. I think they're usually eaten out of hand, dipped in vinegar. I've also heard of them being fried in little cakes or put in omlets for breakfast. Try searching the word dilis or daing na dulong if you'd like more info on how Filipinos use them.

Old 10-01-2006, 02:48 PM   #12
Cook

Thanks everyone! I'm going to try frying them (the vinegar sounds delish) and adding them to soup. Maybe crumble the lil' guys in some enchilada filling.

I have seen the smelt being dried (they are really tiny) while living in China. Whole sidwalks are covered w/ fish.

Thanks again!

Old 10-01-2006, 03:22 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

I see them everytime I visit my Chinese Supermarket but haven't bought them yet. They sound like the strangely named 'Bombay Duck' (which is a small dried fish and nothing to do with duck!) used in Indian Cuisine that were banned from the UK for a while due to silly European Union regulations. I realise this is no help to your query though!
Old 10-03-2006, 09:29 AM   #14
Master Chef

Didn't want you to think I forgot about you, but none of my Mexican or Spanish cookbooks make any mention of dried fish except for the ever-popular salt cod, which is a Spanish seafood staple.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:24 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Charales/smelt

Tiny dried fish or fresh if you are lucky to find them. to cook them is simple you can used them in basically all your mexican recipes. my favorite is with dried smelt all you do is washed them a bit than put them in a thick frying pan with some oil add some fresh nopales/cactus already cooked a bit of red onion cilantro tomatoe and 4 egg beaten for each pound of charales or smelt and eat them in tacos it is delicious.

Tags
None