"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 09-29-2006, 06:42 PM   #1
Cook

What to do with charales?

I just purchased a bag of charales, small dried fish, at my local Mexican market. I've read that they can be fried and eaten but other than that I cannot find a recipe using them. Any suggestions?

Old 09-29-2006, 09:35 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Are you sure you have the correct spelling? I found this online..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charales

Old 09-30-2006, 09:11 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

I answered this on the Epicurious board also. If I am not mistaken I think folks who like them eat them out of hand--dried small crunchy fish.

And Amber got the same thing I got on google in looking for them.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:11 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Hi devora,

I see this is your first post and hope we have not frightened you off! Anyway, Welcome to DiscussCooking, and I hope you return to tell us how you fixed the fish.

Being from the Midwest US, I was not raised eating fish. I think you are brave to have bought the bag of fish, good for you!

I will post a picture of a grocery store where large pieces of dried salted fish were sold. I knew i was not permitted to photograph in this store, so I took several photographs before being busted. It was amazing to me to see people pick up this fish and try to wedge it in their grocery carts. There was no wrapping for this fish. But judging by the large amount of this fish being sold, it is quite popular.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	driedfishportugal1 (2).jpg
Views:	222
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	2012  
Old 09-30-2006, 11:22 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
Hi devora,

II will post a picture of a grocery store where large pieces of dried salted fish were sold. I knew i was not permitted to photograph in this store, so I took several photographs before being busted. It was amazing to me to see people pick up this fish and try to wedge it in their grocery carts. There was no wrapping for this fish. But judging by the large amount of this fish being sold, it is quite popular.
This might be the same salt cod that is sold in little wood boxes in our stores here for a whole LOT of money--$8/12 oz. I was looking for it to make the French dish, brandade.
I think in Spanish it would be bacaolo.

If I am picturing what the OP is asking about, these are cellophane bags of small/tiny dried fish or possibly shrimp.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
Master Chef

I've seen lots of different bagged dried fish - both large & small - in Asian markets, & I have a small bag of tiny dried shrimp in the freezer, which is also used in different Asian recipes.

I have a couple of Mexican cookbooks around here somewhere - let me see if any of them mention dried fish & what to do with them.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:53 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Hi Devora,

I believe your small dried fish are a specialty of Michoacan cooking (meaning from that part of Mexico). Usually they are crumbled up and added to soup, or even omelettes.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:25 PM   #8
Master Chef

Actually, that's how the dried shrimp are used in most Asian recipes - crumbled or crushed into soups, stirfries, & curries. They're more of a flavoring agent than a major ingredient.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:45 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I removed some of the posts. They did not help the OP in her quest for recipes. If anyone has any questions about this please PM me.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:03 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Hi again,

Just wanted to add a bit to my previous posting. These small fish come from freshwater lakes, I believe. They are very similar to the fish we would call "smelt."

During the season of Lent, charales are sold all over Mexico and used in just about everything that would normally use ground or shredded beef, because beef cannot be eaten during the Lenten fasting period if you are an observant Roman Catholic.

Just play with them in your usual Mexican recipes.

Sometimes they are fried crispy and eaten as snacks, too!

Sorry for the delay in posting this. "Real life" intervened!

Tags
None