"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-08-2009, 07:29 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellakav View Post
well, it's not really unleavened...it uses roughly a T. of yeast.
the closest I have to unleavened is a sourdough potato bread
recipe, which is also good.
No worries. I just thought all peasant breads were unleavened. See what I don't know? hahaha

I love to bake bread. The smells throughout the house drives everyone mad. I make all kinds. Any recipies you would want to share would be appreciated.

Baking sourdough bread is my absolute favorite, with sourdough rye being tops on my list. I use a combination of dark and light rye. I will have to put that up, too, but it would not be appropriate on this thread.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:41 PM   #22
Master Chef

Hello and Welcome!

The first thing I thought of was cabbage rolls, but don't know if that's something you eat in Hungary.
Is Moravia in your general area? I have an older friend who is of Moravian descent, and one of her husband's fave dishes was sweet peppers, leeks, and a little garlic, sauteed together in olive oil. You eat that with crusty bread, to soak up the juices.
I have added anchovies to that.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:40 AM   #23
Assistant Cook

Hey hello again! I'm glad that I found so many ppl interested in the topic! :)

Martin! I'm sorry, but I don't have any recipes for bread, but I can check Hungarian sites and books for the recipe and translate! Just let me know, if u need it! Baking a bread with Garlic is not a bad idea, anyway! :)
Old 05-09-2009, 07:47 AM   #24
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
Hello and Welcome!

The first thing I thought of was cabbage rolls, but don't know if that's something you eat in Hungary.
Is Moravia in your general area? I have an older friend who is of Moravian descent, and one of her husband's fave dishes was sweet peppers, leeks, and a little garlic, sauteed together in olive oil. You eat that with crusty bread, to soak up the juices.
I have added anchovies to that.
If u meant cabbage rolls stuffed with some meat, than yes, it's a Hungarian food.

Moravia is not part of Hungary. After checking wikipedia, I got to know, that it's part of the Czech Republic. So it's not that far away, as it's still central Europe. :) That food you mentioned sounds interesting though. It could be a good starter for a dinner on Sunday! :)
Old 05-09-2009, 07:55 AM   #25
Executive Chef

There was a time when the Czechs and the Slovenskos were ruled by Hungary.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:11 AM   #26
Head Chef

Cold cherry soup comes to mind Kranne. I've tried several of the other dishes that have been mentioned. Spatzle I think is the German name for the noodle concept. I spread the dough on the back of a cookie baking pan and then scrape off bits into boiling water - a few at a time. I especially like them with goulash.

Of course there are the pastries!! :) Oh yes, the fruit or nut filled pastries. Good recipes have no borders! with the internet and places such as discuss cooking I can find wonderful recipes from everywhere!

I must learn about the paprika you mentioned. I have what the container says is Hungarian Paprika but I'm not certain that it is the same. Thanks for asking and be ready to share a recipe or two!

Certainly there are Hungarians here - I well remember when the Soviet tanks rolled into your city to crush the rebellion. Yes, you are here, we are you and you are in us like it or not! :)
Old 05-09-2009, 08:44 AM   #27
Head Chef

Kranne, does Dobos Torta mean anything to you. Please understand - I am not really a baker and my name should not be mentioned beside his. My Dobos Torte is not beautiful but it is a treat!

Have you ever checked into facebook.com? If you do please look me up. I am the David Cottrell living in Norwalk, Ohio USA. Right now my little photo is the same as I am using here - a Ukrainian and American flag together. No - not any Ukrainian in me other than what ever comes from being born here. Of course in Eastern Hungary there are Ukrainian and Hungarian populations mixed together I guess. Food mixes together. Everyone claims the best as their own! :))
Old 05-09-2009, 10:05 AM   #28
Assistant Cook

Cold cherry soup: Of course I know it! Try to make it from apple or both! It's very good, especially on hot summer days!

By pastries u mean dumplings made of boiled potato and flour and the rest with some fruit in the middle? That's the favorite food of many hungarian children! :)

And of course, dobos torta is also a great food. To be honest, I've never been brave enough to try and bake one! I always buy it in the cake-shop.

About hungarian paprika: it looks like this:

Yes I'm on facebook, I'll check u!
Old 05-09-2009, 10:11 AM   #29
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbasiszta View Post
No worries. I just thought all peasant breads were unleavened. See what I don't know? hahaha

I love to bake bread. The smells throughout the house drives everyone mad. I make all kinds. Any recipies you would want to share would be appreciated.

Baking sourdough bread is my absolute favorite, with sourdough rye being tops on my list. I use a combination of dark and light rye. I will have to put that up, too, but it would not be appropriate on this thread.

pretty much all of my bread recipes have some kind of leavening in
them, but I do have a couple without it. I will PM you the recipe I
have, and a sourdough potato recipe as well. I know what you mean
about baking bread - it is just the best smell. especially on a cold
winter afternoon out here, along side a big pot of soup or stew.
it's the only thing about winter I will miss this year! somehow, the
smell of the bread just isn't the same with the a/c on!
I'll post those up later today - right now I have to go catch up on
laundry!
Old 05-09-2009, 10:17 AM   #30
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Some 5 years ago we bought a few pounds of paprika from Otto's because the price seemed reasonable. However, to us, it seemed flat tasting as if it was cut with flour.
Really? I've always been pretty happy with them, especially with
the spicy and I don't always do spicy well! Anything is possible,
though. I imagine a lot of places cut their spices with flour or
cornstarch to save a buck! I just started using them because
they were recommended to me and Hungarian paprika is pretty
much unheard of where I live. the stuff you buy in the stores
here is crap. like rust colored sand.

Tags
ethnic, hungarian