What's your favorite non-American food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What's your favorite non-American food?

• French

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Italian

• German

• British

• Asian

• Total voters
Indian food's misconception is that it is all curries and it's all spicy as the earlier poster indicated and hence never in the list of popular cuisines.

Sad part is that a lot of people are so skeptical that they miss all the tandoori and freshly made breads that can knock the socks out of any other cuisine. Also to all the skeptics and mild food lovers, spices don't always translate to hot. Cumin, Corrainder, Cinnamon, Cloves, Black Pepper, Turmeric, Cardamom add little spice but a lot of fragrance and that's what Indian food is all about.

I personally enjoy all other ethnic foods along with my own (Indian).

I have posted many a recipes and one that has fetched me an award with BHG where simple ingredients and flavorful herbs can make a dish that gives an awakening to the western senses.

Anyway to those that are skeptical try it and remember don't let spices intimidate you. It's easy and can be made with a lot of store bought ingredients. I have converted a lot of my western collagues and now they are waiting to be invited to my place :).

Yakuta, the most memorable Indian thing I have had was a dip or pureed veg thing that was the most beautiful, cool, pistachio green color. Yowza, was it hot. What WAS that stuff?! I do love nan (is that the right word?)

mudbug that cool looking pistachio dip is what we call Chutney. It's made with cilantro, mint a good amount of jalapeno along with some lemon.

Now again that is how restaurants make it. If I make it at home it's not that hot because I personally don't like spicy food. So all recipes can be adjusted.

Yes Naan is the bread that is made in the tandoor. In addition to that we have Paratha, Kulcha (made with onions), Dosa (a lentil pancake) and Roti

PHO BO DAC BIET

PHOBOresize.jpg
Pho Bo Dac Biet (sorry no accents)

Vietnamese Beef Soup is mine. I love food from the world over but Vietnamese always ends up my favourite. Maybe because I find it is the sort of food that your mum has to teach you. I get very close results, but there is always that little something missing, I have all the books, even a Vietnamese daughter inlaw but that certain hand-me-down ability is not there.

I adore Japanese food. I love indian as well, there is a large Indian (mainly Pakistani really) community in Manchester. I hate over cooked Indian food. Alot of them cook their spices too long and they end up bitter and all tasting the same. I have been fortunate to eat in a few Indian homes here, especially during the Muslim festivals of Eid, and the home cooked food is divine.

Yakuta, is "chutney" not a generic term to describe these freshly ground pickled sauces? We go to Indian restaurants in many countries (being in Europe, it's a lot easier to go from country to country than it is in the States) and their chutneys are different everywhere we go. The menus are often different, too. As a matter of fact, in Amsterdam, the Maatar Paneer I ordered was GREEN (and wonderfully delicious) and the one I ordered here in Munich was PALE RED (not quite pink and equally as delicious) and tasted very different. Is it based on the regional cuisine of India? I don't know that much about regional Indian cuisine, but I'm thinking that it's very different from North to South of the continent (from what I've been told). Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Also, do you know papadam? Is this called something else in your local dialect? I didn't see it in your list of breads. It's a favorite of ours and we don't always see it on the menu. Maybe we're not looking for the right term. Thanks!!

Edited to add: Mudbug - the Chutney sauce (most places in the States have this) that I would recommend is this one with Tamarind, if you don't like "hot" spicy. This is sweet and it looks like a very thin BBQ sauce. It's very, very good with the papadam. It's not hot at all. (Well, I'm calling it chutney until I'm corrected. I'm not sure I always have the right culinary term. :?: )

Veloholic, I don't intend to hijack this topic and make it a discussion on Indian cuisine but yes you are right in your assessment of this rather large and diverse cuisine.

Chutney is a generic term it refers to something that is sweet and sour or something that is spicy. The green ones as a rule are spicier than the tamarind ones (so the brown ones).

Pickles are all together different. Most things that are bottled and marketed to the western audience as mango chutney is what Indians really call pickle. Pickle as well can be spicy or sweet. Most pickles in India are not brined in vinegar but in a variety of different spices thereby giving it a rather complex flavor. The most popular being lemon and mango pickles.

Pappadum are lentil wafers and are not really a bread at all. Amongst Indian cuisine we consider them as accompainements to a meal. Just like a chutney, pickle or raita would be. Most Indians will eat a pappadum along with rice and dahl or any other rice dish just by itself without dipping it in any sauce.

The regional aspect of cooking also does come into play. Just like Italian cuisine Indian cuisine varies from South to North. Southern food uses more spices and coconut within their dishes while Northern food is milder and creamier (more use of cream, yogurt, almonds, cashews etc). This explains the difference in the mattar paneer. Most of my cooking is influenced by the North because I prefer milder food in general.

The most wonderful folk in the world live in the midwest. That said, it is the least interesting cuisine. Hubby took me to Madison so we could eat some spicy food this week. I guess "favorite" doesn't exist in my lexicon. What I currently miss is Japanese, Indian, and many Asian cuisines. Little mom & pop places. Here we have so much Italian it is insane, and that is one cuisine I can do myself. We also have great Mexican food. Thank heaven for the migrant workers. but I have to drive two hours for sushi or a great curry. carpaccio or tartar? YOu have to be kidding. Even though lamb and veal are raised here, you won't find it on most menues. Mostly I desperately wish to meet one other woman in the world who likes to cook and eat. Everyone I seem to know either is so concerned about staying thin that they haven't actually eaten a full meal in years .... or they are junk food junkies and haven't eaten anything that didn't come out of a bag in years. I actually have been told that I am strange because I fix one or two meals a day. Heaven forbid. HELP

I love Mexican food. I used to live in an area where there was a huge latino community and we had some of the best mexican restaurants in the area.

I also wanted to say that sushi is highly overrated. I do not understand what all the craze is about, mostly health reasons?

1. AMERICAN FOOD (more Amish/Heartland Style)
2. Caribbean Cuisine (Puerto Rican, Cuban, West Indian)
3. Middle Eastern Cuisine ( NY Jewish, Israeli, Arabic, Greek)
4. Indian Cuisine

All else comes next.

I could live without Mexican Food.

i wish there was an "all of the above". i love all of those types of food, and cannot pick one over the other. every time i try, i think of some other dish in another ethnicity that i love equally.

I grew up in Santa Barbara,which is at least 50% latino...thus, amazing Mexican food. Every August, is the Fiest Days, which is a 4 day celebration of latino heritage. There are parades, parties, etc..., down to drunk people with sarapes and sombreros on the rooftops (I kid you not). Anyway, I don't indulge in that part, but I do love how they have little food booths set up in different parks with great authentic food. You see little Mexican grandmas patting out the fresh tortillas, and the avocado skins piled high from all the guacamole - aaahhhhh! I will always adore this food!!
However, I now love Italian just as much. We are priviliged enough to have many Italian restaurants around here. My fav is a tiny family owned spot that for $11.95 you get a great entree, pasta fagioli, huge salad and tons of italian bread. For another buck-fifty, you get a second entree. That's what I do ;)

Hi,
I love Middle Eastern and Greek food. Italian and French and German, etc. are also great. Guess I'll eat anything that is not moving on the plate.

:D It's mexican food for me... I always make my own home-made enchaladas.

1 pkg corn tortillas
1 large onion, diced
cheddar cheese, grated
1 to 2 cans of enchalada sauce
cooking oil

In skillet heat oil. In another skillet heat enchalada sauce. Take corn tortillas 1 at a time and place in heated cooking oil just to soften, then dip corn tortilla into enchalada sauce. Put corn tortilla on a plate and fill center with desired amount of diced onion and grated cheese and fold both sides over and lay flat in baking pan, seam side down. When you have finished getting all of the corn tortillas filled and layed out (side be side) in the baking pan, pour a little extra enchalada sauce over all and then sprinkle extra grated cheese over top of enchaladas. When this has all been completed cover baking pan as to not let the enchaladas dry out while bakeing. Bake enchaladas in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove enchaladas from oven and let set for about 10 to 15 minutes then serve.

mediterranian,indian,chinese,it should be just food to make me love it! :)

Definitely Asian. I love kung pao chicken. Chow mein. General Tso's chicken. sesame chicken. bulgogi. Mu shu pork. kimchee.

Have I made you hungry, yet? I done a good job of making myself hungry. Let's all run out and order Chinese!! :LOL:

Tweedee - I'm an enchilada fan, myself! Cheese and Onion rock! But I really, really, really want to encourage you to make your enchilada sauce from scratch. It makes all the difference in the world. Those canned sauces are so full of preservatives and fillers and taste like the tin they are stored in. Fresh enchilada sauce will make you fall in love with enchiladas all over again! ;)

Back
Top Bottom