Where can I find Panko?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
I have so many recipes I want to try using Panko... but my huge market doesn't seem to carry it. Has anyone had trouble finding Panko in their market/neighborhood? Yep, I've looked in the breadcrumb dept and ethnic foods - no luck.

Guessing I could grind up breadcrumbs very fine - but anyone know what the actual ingredients are?

Maybe there's a recipe for Panko I can make at home? Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Grinding up breadcrumbs fine would not work as panko breadcrumbs are large and chunky. If you can't find them in your local markets then try ordering them online. There are a million places that sell them online and they are very inexpensive so nothing to lose :)

Forgot to say that I read somewhere a long time ago about how they make panko. I do not remember the specifics and I am actually not sure how accurate it really was, but I remember something about a large sheet of very hot metal (red hot or white hot maybe_. The bread dough was thrown onto the hot metal and when it hit it cooked instantly and them violently was thrown off the metal again causing it to break into crumbs. I honestly do not know how accurate or inaccurate this is, but it sounded neat at the time.

Thanks GB. Always understood Panko to be very fine breadcrumbs, not chunky, and adheres very easily to whatever. Would like to know what other ingreds go into it. Anyone have a recipe?

Thanks again.:chef:

Mish, I've seen panko in natural foods stores such as General Nutrition Center.

Think of panko similar to kosher salt. They are large pieces (compared to other breadcrumbs), but because of their shape they stick to food very well.

There are no other ingredients that go into panko they are just breadcrumbs with nothing added.

amber said:
Mish, I've seen panko in natural foods stores such as General Nutrition Center.

Thanks amber. Surprised... it's such a commonly used ingredient, I would think the market would carry it. May have to make a trip over there, & stock up. Thank you :)

GB said:
Here is a page that will give you some info. Panko is third from the bottom.

Very cool, GB. Hmm, potato flakes, matzo or rice cakes & herbs...that gives me some new ideas. Thank you. Much appreciated!:)

Last edited:
Mish,
look in the specialty sections, I found mine in the Asian section..I had first looked with the bread crumb things no luck, so I just went row by row and finally found it.
kadesma:)

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/04/22/1050777248550.html
This is from the article-
The secret to panko is in the way it is produced. Breadcrumbs are usually made from baking bread and grinding it in to a powdery finish. Panko, on the other hand, is the result of electrostatically drying the bread through the use of electrical currents rather than conventional heat. The drying process is quick, after which the bread is grated and dried a second time. As the Japanese crumb - which comes in different grades - is more fragile, greater care must be taken in production.

Mish! I like this Ian's Italian panko. I like that the spices are already added because I always under season. Here's a list of retailers http://iansnaturalfoods.com/ourretailers.html In my grocery store, they have Ian's by the shake n bake/breadcrumb section and regular unflavored panko in the Asian isle.

mish said:
Thanks amber. Surprised... it's such a commonly used ingredient, I would think the market would carry it. May have to make a trip over there, & stock up. Thank you :)

I know what you mean, its just bread in large chunks without anything added, but I dont think my grocery carries it either. I just happened to notice it at the GNC store.

ironchef said:
Mish, you can't find it in SoCal at all? Ralph's should have it, or even a Safeway.

Thanks, IC. My favorite Ralph's is huge. Maybe I missed it. If not, you just reminded me, Gelson's might carry it.

Kads, good idea. Will have to leave myself a trail of breadcrumbs to find it in the right aisle next time :LOL:

Cora, great info! Thank you!!!

Amber, if all else fails, I'll come home with vitamins. Need some of those as well. :LOL:

I buy panko at my Asian grocers. Rather than size of crumb, I find it to have a different texture. I use ... are you ready for this? ... instant mashed potato flakes (not 'buds') as a substitute when I can't get to my Asian grocer in Dubuque. The texture is similar.

Look in the phone book for specialty grocery stores that deal in just orential food.

I went to one to pick up some panko bread crumbs.

Last edited:
Around here some supermarkets carry it in their Asian food section.

It is also ready available online from many Asian food purveyors. Just do a websearch on Panko & you'll come across more than enough sources. It keeps very well in an airtight container, so you might want to go that route & buy enough to last you for awhile instead of trying to make do concocting substitutes.

i found plastic bulk containers of it for like 57 cents by our fresh seafood at a couple different locations! then they had boxes of it in thier ethnic foods aisles for WAY more for way less panko.
i toss mine in my freezer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom