"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 02-03-2010, 12:23 AM   #21
Senior Cook

When you all figure it out.

Please let me know!!
I am a mexican food Nut.It all sounds so interesting to me.I have never had anything like you have described but it would be nice to have two things to dip your chips in.Have you asked your favorite resturaunt what is in the sauce?Sometimes they are pretty helpfull and will tell you what you are eating.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:10 AM   #22
Sous Chef

The fish taco was not originated at Rubio's!!!!

Putting local fish into a taco was a staple to the indigenous people of the Baja Peninsula ...... centuries before the Europeans came to this continent....and way before either Rubio's or the State of California existed.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:16 AM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
I will concede that originally: "...it used to be something you'd get from a few sketchy vendors with little carts down in Baja, Mexico - a very good thing. These are Baja style with a piece of fried fish, shredded cabbage, a white yogurt sauce, and hot sauce on a small corn tortilla. They were originally made with the traditional shark, but as word spread that sharks were endangered, they switched to other fish."
Selkie, that pretty much describes the fish tacos that I used to get in Rosarito Mexico in the 84 to 86 time frame. We used to only buy from one lady. She had two sauces one a thin redish brown made from tomatoes and dried chilies. The other was a thin avocado it was kind of like avocado, tomatillo salsa and something creamy that may have been mayo. I don't know what the other vendors were serving since we only ate from the one lady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
And from what I can glean, American fishermen and surfers brought the idea back to So. Calif., and that tasty creation exploded in sandwich shops and food vendors along the entire southern coast.
When I came back to San Diego in 89 fish tacos were the in thing. You could get them before that but in 89 everyone was talking about them.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i find how the same dish will move from culture to culture to be endless interesting. each puts it stamp on it. try sometimes to follow a dish and see how it is done in another country. the taco or tamale comes to mind. flat bread is another. i could cite more but you get the idea.
I was joking about mole. I know what it is.

Very true though about different ethhic foods. I was quite suprised when I ate the food in Italy. The sauces served on pasta were very light and not at all like the red marinara or alfredo sauces I was accustomed to in America. Still very good though.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #25
Senior Cook

French

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
It almost sounds like you are describing creme fresh, but that is French, not Mexican.
I agree with you...its either the Baja sauce or walnut sauce that is a white sauce in Mexican cooking without using cheese/queso..
Old 02-03-2010, 09:48 AM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican mama View Post
I agree with you...its either the Baja sauce or walnut sauce that is a white sauce in Mexican cooking without using cheese/queso..
Well, now I'll have to make up a batch of Baja sauce and then respond back to this thread. Or maybe the OP can make some.

Baja Sauce - All Recipes
Old 02-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #27
Head Chef

By George, I think I've got it! This is going to the SB party on Sunday!

Mexican White Sauce - All Recipes
Old 02-04-2010, 07:54 AM   #28
Executive Chef

I'm glad you've got your sauce!!
Old 02-04-2010, 10:21 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

The sauce served with chips is not baja sauce. We eat baja sauce every time we make fish tacos. I think the recipe from allrecipes seems right. Haven't had time to try it though.
I'll try to whip it up for the Super Bowl since we are having a nacho bar.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:52 AM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rede2learn View Post
The sauce served with chips is not baja sauce. We eat baja sauce every time we make fish tacos. I think the recipe from allrecipes seems right. Haven't had time to try it though.
Yes, I tried it the other night and it seems right. I didn't let it sit in the fridge for 2 hours though. It ought to be even better after that.

Tags
None