"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 02-11-2007, 02:11 AM   #21
Assistant Cook

Went to the Co-op today. Picked up some fresh chickpeas and some tahini as well, so I can make some hummus if it comes down to it.

Also, I'm male. :-)

As far as being vegan, no, I'm not. I'll try the egg and if that doesn't work, I may try a piece of white bread.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:48 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

Awesome.

Wal Mart of all places, has falafel mix. I bought some and will be giving it a taste test soon. However...

This is the fruit of my labor.

Made some hummus to start off with. I tried to experiment a bit, and added pesto. A bit too much pesto. So, while it was only okay on a cracker, It goes nicely with some noodles. Threw in some tomatoes, black and green olives, and a small amount of feta.

:-)

Old 02-13-2007, 09:24 PM   #23
Sous Chef

So the final dish was fusilli, not falafel!
As long as it tasted good...
Old 02-14-2007, 03:20 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveb
So the final dish was fusilli, not falafel!
As long as it tasted good...
Nah, I just gave up on falafel for the moment. Gonna try again this weekend, though. Made my first batch of humus instead.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #25
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django! View Post
Do you have a recipe that you could share with me?

This is the recipe I used. I did not use any parsley, and I think I used a smaller amount of baking powder, as it was the last little bit that I had. Everything was chopped up extra fine, save the onion, which was a bit chunky. I've referenced a few websites since I made this thread, and I'm beginning to think that the lack of backing powder/bread is what caused it to have a funky taste and fall to pieces.[*]1 15 oz. can chickpeas[*]1 medium onion, finely chopped[*]1 tablespoon minced garlic[*]2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped[*]1 teaspoon coriander[*]3/4 teaspoon cumin[*]1/2 teaspoon salt[*]1/2 teaspoon baking powder[*]oil for frying (canola or vegetable)Thanks for the replies, everyone!
This is the recipe I used with the same result. The first time was a total loss. The second time I dried the chick peas all day before making it & did a test run in the oil. It was going to be a failure too so I used an egg wash & bread crumbs to make a crust. This mostly worked.
Next I'll give the raw chick peas a try. Thanks for this post!
Old 08-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #26
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
Hi, Django ( like Django Reinhardt, yeah?)!
First thing about making falafel. You can't use canned chickpeas, as they are cooked. You have to soak dried chickpeas overnight (8 hours) then blend them to a rough paste.Raw chickpeas, in other words. I'd also suggest blending the garlic and onion ( just a very little bit) with the chickpeas.
the spices wouldn't have made any difference. Oh, and no water, unless your chickpea mixture is very very dry. If so, add just a little!
Second point could be the temperature of the oil. I do not possess a thermometer, nor a deep fryer, so my test is do drop a tiny bit of the mixture in the oil before I start frying. If it bubbles and rises immediately to the surface, then it's ready . Remember that, as you add the falafel to the oil, the temperature will drop, so you must be vigilant. Don't poke the falafel about until you're certain they are semi-crisp on the outside; ie. if you start poking them before they're fried, they'll come apart.
Finally - keep trying. Yes, keep trying. I seem to remember I did exactly the same thing some 15 years ago, with the same results as you.
Don't be disheartened - cooking is experimenting until you get it right!
Thank you Clive! I will give this a try. I hate wasting my fresh herbs...
Old 08-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #27
Head Chef

What an interesting thread!

I too have had nothing but disaster with my previous Falafel attempts and had actually given up on ever producing any at home.

However, I am now spurred on to try again and bought some dried chickpeas today. (All my previous attempts - from different recipes - featured tinned chickpeas, but I find the idea of trying the other kind quite interesting). Not sure exactly when I will make the attempt, but we shall see how it goes. (If this attempt fails as miserably as the previous ones, then I really am going to give up permanently!)
Old 08-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
What an interesting thread!

I too have had nothing but disaster with my previous Falafel attempts and had actually given up on ever producing any at home.

However, I am now spurred on to try again and bought some dried chickpeas today. (All my previous attempts - from different recipes - featured tinned chickpeas, but I find the idea of trying the other kind quite interesting). Not sure exactly when I will make the attempt, but we shall see how it goes. (If this attempt fails as miserably as the previous ones, then I really am going to give up permanently!)
Hey Katy! I tried the dried chick peas last night with complete success! They were YUMMY & PERFECT! I would suggest adding a little baking powder though. They were much more dense this way.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoieMichelle View Post
Hey Katy! I tried the dried chick peas last night with complete success! They were YUMMY & PERFECT! I would suggest adding a little baking powder though. They were much more dense this way.
Excellent! And baking powder - check.

How did you serve them JoieMichelle? I've had them as "street food" served in pita pockets, but is there a "plated" version?
Old 08-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We order a "falafel" platter regularly. It comes with hummus, tahini sauce, tabouli, a little bit of pickled turnip, and a pita.

Tags
None