Will this work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicklord1

Senior Cook
I was thinking as a side dish to my chinese food on saturday night i would make special fried rice but with pak choi and chinese cabbage on the top with a splash of chilli oil. Will this work or be rubbish . Your views plz.

Can you use the pak choi and Chinese cabbage as more of a side dish aside from the rice...with the splash of chili oil? I just don't know how it would be as part of the fried rice. For some reason I am picturing these two ingredients as a large component versus a smaller one i.e., bits of rice sticking to these veggies versus more rice/less veggies. You can set me straight though! :LOL::chef:

I'll put just about anything in fried rice. . . and big chunks of veggies like cauliflour or broccoli do not detract. It just makes a heartier fried rice. I like roughly chopping the bok choi leaves and mixing them in at the end. Let the heat of the rice wilt the leaves. If you're going to use chili oil, I'd fry the rice in it.

Try it and see.

Also, I always add a little fish sauce to fried rice with the soy sauce. It really adds depth to the flavor.

We saute cabbage and mix it with regular white rice often for a side dish so I don't know why it wouldn't work in your fried rice. Like vyapti said, I'd mix it in at the end and let the heat wilt it. However, I would chop it in ribbons ...
Enjoy!

For pak choi and chinese cabbage you’d be better off making a vegetable Mai Fun with rice noodles. Lord I love that stuff!. Add some chicken too if you like!

Oh yeah yum!
I think it would go better with noodles, but certainly if
you like veggies with your rice.. go for it!
Add a couple drips of sesame oil too!
YUM.

(I have a new passion, which is a Vietnamese veggies and
noodle dish with a lime/fish sauce/sugar/chili/other stuff sauce!)

I just posted my basic Fried Rice recipe. If you sub out the rice with cooked noodles, leave out the scrambled egg, add some bok choy and/or nappa cabbage, and proceed with the recipe from there, you have my Basic Lo Mein recipe. My family loves both!

Back
Top Bottom