"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2017, 05:21 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Won ton soup flavor

I would like to make this soup with really just chicken broth and frozen wontons, and maybe a few vegitables.

But what gives the broth that special flavor? Ginger, soy, maybe Chinese five spice powder?

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:02 AM   #2
Master Chef

Several recipes I looked at use just chicken broth/stock. One adds fresh ginger, whole scallions and salt to the basic stock. If the stock was from scratch it would be much richer. That being said, I believe the focus is the wonton itself. Several of the homemade recipes use some of the same fillings as the dim sum Karen makes.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:41 AM   #3
Head Chef

Mine is certainly not authentic (little I do is) but, I make mine with a dashi, adding some miso and sliced ginger for flavoring..

Ghungah @ Damn Deliis good to follow for Asian cooking..

Wonton Soup - Damn Delicious
Old 04-15-2017, 07:13 AM   #4
Head Chef

Mine is not authentic either because I use my homemade chicken stock then I simmer with some sliced ginger and green onions to give it a bit more of an asian flavour. Remove them before serving but you can sprinkle with a few more fresh shallots or chives to serve.

Boil your Won Tons separately to your soup base. You could do them in the soup but the corn starch you sprinkled them with will cloud up the clear broth.

I also do not make a really clear broth. To me it is not that important and I can't be bothered with the extra steps to do so, ergo my soup is always a little cloudy (just not from my WonTons). When I don't have any homemade broth on hand I have no problem using Knorr or Bovril chicken base (liquid) to make mine.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:58 AM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggler View Post
I would like to make this soup with really just chicken broth and frozen wontons, and maybe a few vegitables.

But what gives the broth that special flavor? Ginger, soy, maybe Chinese five spice powder?

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.
For a good broth like this use bones, garlic and ginger.

Blanch the bones at a boil for 15 to 30 minutes. Dump out the water. Wash the bones and the pot.

Put the bones garlic and ginger into the pot with a touch of salt and bring to a simmer. Cook until the bones have released most of the good stuff. Taste if it needs more salt add a little more

When your ready to make your soup add your carrots and bring to a slow boil. Add a dash of white pepper and your wontons. When the wontons are almost done check seasoning.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:21 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
I do about the same as the others... either homemade or store-bought broth add in some instant, powered dashi, a splash of shoyu; bring to a simmer in a separate pot from the dumplings and build

Name:   deluxe-saimin-bowl.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  22.6 KB

Click image for larger version

Name:	noodle bowl.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	26647
(the wonton are hidden the noodles and that dipping sauce of the "crunchy garlic topping" is out of this world!)

Name:   won-ton-mein.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  21.1 KB

yum! or OISHI!!

... and then, do you dip your dumplings or do you do a simple slurp, `cuz ya gotta slurp it man!!
Old 04-17-2017, 11:30 AM   #7
Master Chef

Wontons can be filled with so many different fillings, seafood (espcially lobster, crab, or minced shellfish), beef, chicken, pork, cheese, or any combination of the above.

With that in mind, taylor your broth to the wonton filling.

For chicken, I can't add much to what has already been said. But for beef, make a mushroom broth by simmering freshly sliced mushrooms (about a half pound) in 2 cups of water for twenty minutes. Remove the mushrooms, and add a little soy suace, then taste. Add more until the broth is ballanced. Then add a 1/4 tsp. powdered ginger. Make you wontons and cook in the broth. If you want, add a tbs. of chopped chives to the soup..

For seafood filled wontons, make a shrimp, or clam broth

Be creative and think about the flavors and how they play together. You can create so much more that traditional flavors, and expand your soup repertoire

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:49 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggler View Post

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.
Miso and dashi for the broth. A bit of fish sauce.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:21 PM   #9
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Sesame oil - the toasted sort is what's missing here. Add a teaspoon or so to the pot just prior to serving. Heat breaks down the flavor so make sure the pot is no longer boiling.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:18 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Msg or accent seasoning.

Tags
soup