"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
View Poll Results: Format for ethinic recipe book
hard cover book 7 53.85%
regular book (no hard cover) 6 46.15%
e-book in PDF form 0 0%
Kindle or iPad format 0 0%
iPhone application 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2010, 03:22 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Diets

I agree with every comment posted so I second the book format with the coil and great pics with a history behind the dish.

The other is that I like cook books that can offer a variety that cater to special diets (mine would be lactose intolerance). It's disheartening when someone gives me a cookbook because they know I love to cook, but I can't eat a darn thing in it.

That may be too specific but I can say that those of us with special needs would LOVE if someone would give sections of their great ideas to us. We'd still buy the book, because we still cook for people who don't share our needs so we cook those dishes for them and the others for us.

I think there would be money in that market if someone would cater to it, but I understand that more people don't have needs than those that do (I would guess).

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Tolkien
SweetTeboho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #12
Master Chef

Since I collect & read cookbooks like novels, I definitely prefer regular hardcover books. Looseleaf & spiral-bounds look cheap & cheesy to me, & I only buy them when/if they're interesting & on the sale/remainder rack.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:31 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Since I collect & read cookbooks like novels, I definitely prefer regular hardcover books. Looseleaf & spiral-bounds look cheap & cheesy to me, & I only buy them when/if they're interesting & on the sale/remainder rack.
Aah, the food romantic. One after my heart!
Old 07-21-2010, 03:33 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

I do find that every fifth person I know has some thing or other that they can't consume. The many mysteries of the world..
Old 07-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

coil bound, waterproof pages work well with cookbooks, i've found.

ethnic and healthy? that sounds really interesting. a lot of what people call ethnic foods lean more to peasent dishes, which often aren't the healthiest in today's world of lack of exercise.

i'd be very interested in any healthy cookbook since that's all dw will eat, and we're trying to teach our son to eat heathfully as well.

good luck with it.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:01 PM   #16
Cupcake

I seem to agree with the others: Hardback book, lots of quality pictures. I prefer to see my titles on the bookshelf. For ethnic books, I also appreciate knowing what ingredients can be substituted if there is something hard to find - or where I can obtain some harder to find ingredients. Also, I like knowing how to make-do without special cooking instruments and step-by-step pictures of special cooking techniques that are unique to the type of food.

I have a lovely Spanish cookbook that has these things. I love to use it because it made the dishes, though somewhat complex due to the unusual ingredients, easy and attainable for me.

~Kathleen
Old 07-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #17
Head Chef

Paper printed of any kind.. coil or hardbound...

with a CD version in a folder inside! :)

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:19 PM   #18
Flour Child

A "must" for me is to have a mouthwatering, color-saturated photo accompanying every recipe (which seems to echo everyone's sentiments here). I just bought a Mediterranean hardcover (but somewhat padded) cookbook 6 1/2" X 8" with over 100 recipes (recipe on left page and full-page photo of the dish on the right page). The binding is only about 3/4" but there are 240 high quality gloss white pages in it. Each and every picture is to die for. It was published in 2009 by Parragon Publishing. Name is simply, "Mediterranean".

The back says, "The Mediterranean diet has become widely recognized in recent years for it's many health benefits". It's a simple, colorful, and delicious cuisine, consisting mainly of a stunning range of nutrition-packed fruits and vegetables, with fresh seafood and a little meat and cheese. Plenty of olive oil, with it's heart-protective properties, completes the picture of a way of eating that promotes an enviably long and healthy life..."

There is a lot of competition out there so do a thorough market research first. This high-quality little book was only $4.99 at TJMaxx (originally $9.00).

I've never purchased nor even searched for an e-book...although I can only imagine the low-overhead and ease of distribution the seller can enjoy. I just have zero interest in e-books.

If you have a winning Hollywood personality then consider marketing your book through an agent and hit the talk-show circuit. That's the most effective in this highly competative market.

Good Luck

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #19
Head Chef

[QUOTE=juguar;909518]Hi everyone,

I'm writing an ethnic recipes book.. It will have a pretty unique angle to it, definitely healthy recipes. I'm so excited about it!

I have a couple of questions for all you folks that love all kinds of ethnic food.

- Should I write my book in e-book format or in traditional paper book?
- Besides the recipe, what do you like the most in an ethnic recipe book?

I'm interested in ** your ** opinion of what you would prefer, not in what would be convenient for me

Many thanks.
I'd like to ask some questions to provide some more understanding of what you want to learn from input, and make some general comments.
First, is this a self-published project? If so, then the economics of doing everything necessary to publish a first-rate work will dictate expenditures on all publishing, printing, shipping and advertising costs.
If this is a contracted publisher's project, then you will have been given a budget to coveranything including pro food photography, an expensive item depending on the size of the work.
As a general comment, "ethnic" pretty much covers the entirety of world cuisine, so you've set an extremely ambitious task for yourself. That begs the question of how many recipes are you intending to include and how many different cuisines will be represented, lastly how many recipes of each cuisine will make the cut.
I wish you luck as it's a daunting task and one that will occupy much of your time for a long period.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:10 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Hi MSC,

Certainly my own project. Budget is certainly a constraint, so e-book would be great for me. But if people don't want it or use it, then there's no point in doing it. That's kinda my thought process.

Also, I'm thinking of a Thai/Indian/Indonesian theme.

Thanks.
Jug

Tags
ethnic, recipe book format